Editor's Note: Fallin' For You, Dartmouth

If you are not struck by love upon your first step on the Green, first Collis smoothie or first run around Pine Park — no fear. It can be a slower kind of love, a kind of love that you don’t notice until you’re sitting in your 9L, daydreaming about hitting the green, not hitting the stacks, after class.

Cappy: Do you believe in love at first sight? I didn’t think I did — then I came here. I fell in love fast and hard with this place my first fall on campus. I fell in love with the crisp air, the leaves, the bonfire — but most of all I fell for the community.

Carolyn: For me, I came to Dartmouth on a summer day — I distinctly recall sitting on a bench on the Green, eating a sandwich my mother had packed for me. But I definitely don’t remember a single detail from the tour — so I don’t think it was love at first sight for me. I think I realized that I was at a special place when I was stumbling through the dark with friends in the homecoming parade of freshmen. I looked around, seeing the eager, painted faces of my classmates illuminated by street lights and then the bonfire, and the idea that this place might become home started becoming more of a reality.