Safety groups prepare for weekend

5.17.13.GK.S&S
5.17.13.GK.S&S

Safety and Security director Harry Kinne said the number of arrests and Good Samaritan calls over Green Key mirrors the higher number of parties compared to other weekends.

"There's always a number of arrests usually for possession by consumption," he said.

Last year, Hanover Police made 17 arrests and Safety and Security responded to 36 emergency calls. Hanover Police also received calls about two sexual assaults that occurred over the weekend.

These arrests often occur when students bring alcoholic drinks outdoors, as Hanover has an ordinance prohibiting this, Kinne said. Safety and Security also spends more time monitoring parties during the day, like Phi Delta Alpha fraternity's annual block party.

"We'll be doing a lot of party checks," Kinne said. "We sort of change our routine, and spend a lot more time outside."

Green Team will be monitoring parties throughout the weekend, board member Victor Hollenberg '14 said.

"In any given weekend, we'll work anywhere from one to four or five events or even more depending on how many are registered," he said. "As far as any big weekend is concerned, those are our busiest weekends in any given term."

Green Key is particularly busy for Green Team, with events scheduled not only on weekend nights, but also throughout the week and in the daytime.

This year, Green Team is considering introducing a more flexible component to their current monitoring system to supplement existing security measures. Green Team typically monitors registered events, and the group is now looking to increase their presence.

"We may be implementing a kind of mobile Green Team, where people go from event to event responding depending on how they're needed and adjust to the needs of the night or evening," Hollenberg said.

This idea is still being developed, but Green Team leaders have been considering it as an effective means of maximizing their staff for almost a year, Hollenberg said.

Green Team also plans to hold a "refresher session" in order to bring current staff up to date and train new members.

At parties, Green Team aims to minimize potential risk to students by helping to monitor alcohol consumption.

"We'll go to those events and work with the houses to ensure that it is as low risk of an environment as possible," he said.

This entails coordinating with the Health Promotion Office at Dick's House, Safety and Security and Sexual Assault Peer Advisors.

"We wouldn't be able to do it without other organizations on campus," Hollenberg said.

Dartmouth Emergency Medical Services will also increase its activity over the big weekend, director Nicholas Valentini '13 said.

"We're not doing a lot more to prepare than normal because we already have a lot of the structure in our emergency response, but we do add on an additional crew, specifically on Friday night and Saturday night," he said. "If we start experiencing more calls, we'll call them for help."

EMS operates nonstop from Thursday night through Sunday night. The group responds to a number of calls related to injuries and illness, including those due to intoxication.

After Safety and Security officers receive a call for someone in need of medical attention, they page EMS to aid specifically in initial assessment and stabilization.

Dick's House also works with EMS over Green Key.

"We put some of our [emergency medical technicians] in the inpatient department at Dick's House just to help out the nurses there with the increased patient load," he said.

Safety and Security aims to make it as easy as possible for students to have access to the help they need, Kinne said.

"We want to make sure that if there's any problems whatsoever they feel comfortable calling," he said. "We approach every situation in the same way we're concerned about students' safety."