Around the Girdled Earth They Roamed: Alumni Abroad

Government major Mark Heller '10, who studied abroad twice in Beijing, lived in Singapore for 13 months after graduation. He was working for Princeton in Asia, a fellowship for recent graduates to teach English and perform relief work in 18 countries in Asia. In Singapore, Heller taught at a polytechnical school.

"It was a cool opportunity to branch out and meet new people," he said.

Julia DeWahl '09 also chose to move to Asia after graduating, moving to India "looking for adventure."

"I didn't know anyone when I arrived in Delhi," she said. "But I soon made friends with like-minded adventurous ex-pats and worked as a production assistant for a small documentary film company."

After working in Boston as a software engineer for two years, Amanda Lobel '09 asked her company to transfer her to Australia or Europe because she wanted a change of pace.

"I got bored because life was so easy and convenient," she said. "I didn't have to make any new friends since there are so many young Dartmouth alums in Boston."

Now living in Winterthur, Switzerland since October 2011, Lobel adventures to new places every weekend.

"I'm taking this next week off to explore Switzerland, France and Italy with six of my Dartmouth friends who are flying out to visit me," she said. "In the States, I wouldn't easily be able to afford to take that much time off for a random vacation with friends."Heller said his limited time in Asia motivated him to be "proactive" and travel as much as possible. While in Singapore, Heller said he visited both India and Japan, among other countries."You try to take advantage of what's around you when you're abroad," he said. "I'm sure my friends in New York could have done weekend trips, but you're less likely when you live somewhere your whole life."

While DeWahl discovered her passion for business after working for a startup company in India, she said that more than anything, her time in India was one of the most enjoyable experiences of her life.

"I traveled throughout the country, skied in Kashmir, hitchhiked to the Indian Ocean in Tamil Nadu and rode camels in the Thar Desert," she said.

Beyond the incredible traveling opportunities, alumni living abroad also described their experiences as important transitions from Dartmouth to the real world. However, alumni interviewed by The Mirror said they still miss certain elements of life in America.

Lobel said she missed the "general sense of independence that Americans tend to have."

"Everyone in Switzerland is so obedient," she said. "I've seen so many Swiss people wait at the crosswalk for two minutes until the pedestrian light turns green to cross a small, totally deserted street."

Heller, on the other hand, said he missed the "small conveniences" in America after he caught an illness traveling and "just pined for first-world comforts."

Not surprisingly, alumni living abroad said that although they experience occasional homesickness, they have found ways to keep in touch with friends and family back in America.

"Working out communication with the time difference took a little bit of getting used to, but it's really not bad now that I have a system," Lobel said. "I'm able to keep in touch with my friends and family fairly well over email and Skype."

Heller said that while it was difficult for him to stay in touch with his Dartmouth friends, he "loved getting outside the Dartmouth environmentafter graduation."

"I didn't realize it would be a high, but it was healthy to meet new people," he said. "I maintained important relationships and I went back for Homecoming and rekindled a lot of friendships."

Heller and Lobel both said they would be excited to live abroad again.

"I really like America," Lobel said. "But I won't be surprised if I end up somewhere international permanently."