Eun Lee Koh
The Setonian
News

Fifty protest Chinese embassy bombing

More than 50 members of the Dartmouth Chinese Association gathered in front of the Hopkins Center yesterday afternoon to protest last Friday's NATO bombing of the Chinese Embassy in Yugoslavia that killed three Chinese journalists and injured more than 20 others. During the peaceful, hour-long protest, protesters echoed sentiments similar to those expressed by the Chinese government on Monday, calling for an investigation into the bombing and demanded that those responsible be brought to court. "We wanted to show our indignant and strong condemnation of the bombings," DCA Chair Zhouhui Zhang said after the protest. In a flyer that protesters distributed to passersby, the DCA called the NATO bombing of the Chinese Embassy "a naked act of hegemonism and a breach of Chinese sovereignty." "[The bombing of the Chinese Embassy] was not a mistake as casually claimed by NATO but an atrocity," according to the flyer. Zhang said NATO should have made sure that the Chinese Embassy was clear of their targets before launching the bombs. "I would like to believe that it was unintentional," Zhang said, but added that "it's very hard to believe that it's a mistake," particularly because of the accuracy of the bombs used in the attacks. Both President Clinton and NATO offered apologies shortly after the bombing and said the attack on the embassy was a military error. However, Zhang said the apologies offered by Clinton and NATO were not enough, saying the apologies should be followed up with action. "If I bombed the White House, and I apologized and said, 'Oh, I'm sorry,' I believe no American would be accepting of that," Zhang said.

The Setonian
News

Tucker Dean Brown to resign at year's end

Dean of the Tucker Foundation Scott Brown '78 announced yesterday he will be stepping down from his post at the end of the academic year, citing two book projects as the main reason for his resignation. Brown, who has held the position since 1996, told The Dartmouth last night his decision to resign from his post was smattered with "a little bit of regret." "I certainly have mixed feelings," Brown said.

The Setonian
News

Collis: The Man and the Building: Charles Collis '37 talks about the student center he helped to build

Charles Collis '37 can't help but chuckle when he hears students casually suggest to each other, "Let's do Collis for lunch." When Collis himself was a student at the College some 60 years ago, he never dreamed his name would ever become such a permanent part of the Dartmouth vernacular. "I guess I'm lucky that my last name is just two syllables -- makes it easier to say," Collis said during an interview at the Hanover Inn.

The Setonian
News

Wright plans on best of college and university

A new chapter in Dartmouth history opened with he inauguration of James Wright as the 16th president of the College, but what the chapter will be and how historians will read it are still left for Wright to define. The College's 15th President James O.

The Setonian
News

Poll: Students think less of Clinton: Survey reveals students do not favor impeachment proceedings

One day after President Clinton's criminal grand jury testimony, Dartmouth students were divided last night about whether they want the investigation to continue -- although an overwhelming majority said the president should not be impeached. Clinton admitted to the nation in a live broadcast Monday night to having had "inappropriate" relations with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

The Setonian
News

Most students think Clinton will survive

On the eve of the first-ever criminal grand jury testimony by a U.S. president, many Dartmouth students said they do not care about President Clinton's disclosure regarding his relationship with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Nearly all of the students interviewed, despite a wide range of political viewpoints, said they think Clinton will survive the scandal and will complete his term in office. "Bill Clinton is pretty unsinkable and he's going to get out of this pretty unscathed," Student Assembly Vice President Case Dorkey '99 said. Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr and several other prosecutors are scheduled to begin questioning Clinton this afternoon at the White House regarding his relationship with Lewinsky and whether he encouraged her to lie about it under oath. According to the Associated Press, the President's advisers have acknowledged that Clinton is prepared to admit to having had some form of "inappropriate" relationship with Lewinsky. Government Professor Constantine Spiliotes, who specializes in American politics and teaches a course on the American presidency, said Clinton should disclose what he will say during the questioning before his grand jury testimony is leaked to the media. "Clarifying his relationship with Lewinsky shortly before his testimony will give him a jump on what the American public hears about it," Spiliotes said. Many students said they think Clinton will admit to having some sort of sexual relationship with Lewinsky, but regardless of how Clinton testifies, it will not change their opinion of the president. "He's running the country fine, so why does his personal life matter that much?" Matthew Larkin '00 said. Some said they think Clinton's testimony will only make a difference if he reveals he urged Lewinsky to lie under oath, but added that even if he admits to committing perjury, he will probably not be impeached. "They used to call [President] Reagan the 'teflon president' because scandals just slid off of him," Spiliotes said.

More articles »