Moose to appear at games, reunions

Although short of being fully recognized as the College mascot, the Moose has been embraced by the Dartmouth Athletic department as official "fan entertainment."

The Moose has made several public appearances before -- first at a men's basketball game last winter -- but this is the first time that the furry creature has received an official nod from the College.

"We're glad that the support for the Moose has caught on in a big way," said Brandon MacNeill, assistant director of athletic marketing. "It'll finally give the community something to rally behind and really cheer for."

MacNeill said the Moose will help Dartmouth fans cheer on their teams during football games and during both men's and women's basketball, soccer and hockey games.

The Moose will also make appearances at alumni reunions and other social functions that occur throughout the year, MacNeill said.

"We're trying to take the Moose to the next level," MacNeill said.

The Moose will be getting a makeover from head to toe in honor of his new status -- including a brand new wardrobe.

"He's going to have a new moose suit made by a professional company," MacNeill said. "We're going to have a brand new moose."

The unveiling of the new Moose will take place on Sept. 19 at the season's first football game against the University of Pennsylvania.

Although "Dartmoose" has been a popular nomer for the Moose, there is no official name for the College's new fan entertainment, MacNeill said. He added that the Athletic department may solicit suggestions to officially name the Moose.

Students have made numerous efforts to find a new mascot since the College abandoned the unofficial Indian symbol in 1972.

According to a 1972 article in The Dartmouth, the Indian symbol was used after Boston sports writers in the 1920s described Dartmouth sports team as Indians "to symbolize the savagery of the men of then almost inaccessible North Woods."

Director of Athletics Dick Jaeger previously told The Dartmouth that the success of any potential mascot depended on its reception by students, alumni, administrators and the Board of Trustees.

The Moose has topped the list of several surveys conducted over the past two years in an effort to search for a new College mascot. In a Web-based survey conducted in Jan. 1997, the Moose garnered 30 percent of the votes versus the Indian, which collected 10 percent.