Wright plans on best of college and university

A new chapter in Dartmouth history opened with he inauguration of James Wright as the 16th president of the College, but what the chapter will be and how historians will read it are still left for Wright to define.

The College's 15th President James O. Freedman has been credited for enriching the College's intellectual environment. Freedman's immediate predecessor David T. McLaughlin has been noted for increasing the College's financial strength, though his era was marked by undesirable national attention. McLaughlin's predecessor John G. Kemeny is most honored for coeducating the College.

Wright, in his own words, wants to be remembered for an amalgam of the strengths of these past presidents.

"I'd like to mix them together and enhance them and have people say of me when I leave, that Dartmouth is recognized as a residential college that has one of the strongest academic and intellectual programs in the country," Wright said in a recent interview with The Dartmouth.

If Freedman is noted for improving the academic experience at Dartmouth, Wright is likely to be remembered for enriching students' social experiences.

In Wright's inaugural address -- his first formal speech to the College since he took office in Aug. 1 -- he asserted his commitment to "providing a comprehensive experience outside of the classroom."

"The diversity of our social options needs to reflect the diversity of the community," Wright said in his inaugural speech.

Wright noted in a previous interview with The Dartmouth that students at the College have faced limited late-night social options.

Already, Wright has taken steps to make his inaugural statement a reality, extending the hours of the Collis Center to 3 a.m., and expanding the building to include a mini-movie theater and a late night cafe.

With the fraternity and sorority system looming as one of the College's most prominent social outlets, Wright could easily make his mark with changes to Collis.

If Wright stands by his commitment to affirmative action and need-blind admission, his presidency will likely also be noted for further diversifying the campus -- both racially and socio-economically.

"Dartmouth must be a place of opportunity for students of all backgrounds," Wright said in his inaugural address. "It is hard to imagine education taking place in an environment that is fully like-minded and homogeneous."

Wright also restated his commitment to expanding research opportunities for both students and faculty, but shied away from calling Dartmouth a "research university" as he had in his acceptance speech in April.

Wright's acceptance speech in April stirred mixed reactions among students who felt that his focus on Dartmouth's research potential undermined the College's commitment to teaching excellence.

However, in his inaugural speech, Wright emphasized "a dual commitment" to both research and teaching. Wright, himself, will return to teaching this winter, teaching a course on 20th Century American Political History.

"Our direction is clear. ... We are equally committed to excellence in teaching, at all levels of this institution," Wright said. "We can enjoy the best of being a college and a university."