Elizabeth Smith appointed dean of the faculty of arts and sciences

Biology professor Elizabeth Smith has been appointed as the next dean of the faculty of arts and sciences, College President Phil Hanlon and Provost Carolyn Dever announced in a campus-wide email Wednesday. Native American studies professor N. Bruce Duthu ’80 was nominated for the position in March, but he declined the appointment on May 22 following concerns over his 2013 support of a boycott of Israeli academic institutions.

Smith will succeed Michael Mastanduno on July 1 and serve a five-year term. She has served as the associate dean of the sciences for the past two years and served as chair of the biology department from 2012 to 2015.

In addition to declining the dean of faculty of arts and sciences position, Duthu announced in May that he will step down as associate dean for international studies and interdisciplinary programs on July 1. The College announced on June 14 that Dennis Washburn, chair of the Asian and Middle Eastern studies program, will replace Duthu as associate dean.

Smith was selected by a search committee chaired by biology department chair Kathryn Nottingham and geography professor Mona Domosh. A search for an associate dean of the sciences will begin soon.