Wheeler: Discovering the Frat Scene

After six weeks of attending pregames confined to residence halls and dance parties hosted by Collis After Dark, members of the Class of 2017 are now allowed to enter Greek houses. They will finally be able to mix with upperclassmen and be socialized into mainstream Dartmouth culture they will have the opportunity to discover the wonder that is Keystone, meet and hang out with new and random people, play pong, learn to love smelly, sweaty basements and come to tolerate even the grime on their frat shoes. They will finally have access to what is, in my opinion, one of the best parts of our school: our predominantly chill and open, at least to freshmen, social scene.

There can be no doubt, however, that the Greek system is flawed. Before freshmen absorb themselves in our social culture, they should be aware of its pitfalls. First, the principle of male-dominated social spaces is certainly troubling, as it lends men increased power. They choose who gets to play pong; they decide whom to hand the drink to from behind the bar; they do (and don't) ultimately uphold the safety of their basements. This authority over others manifests itself primarily in fraternity brothers' senses, however subtle, of domination over and even entitlement to their female guests, especially younger ones.

Though I believe that a woman, whether drunk, flirtatious or wearing a short skirt, should never be assumed to want to hook up, the truth of the matter is that men don't always appreciate that boundary. That is entirely men's fault and I would never suggest that girls invite sexual assault. But girls and their friends need to be especially conscious of male upperclassmen's power in the basement and outside of it, and look out for one another. If a girl looks too drunk and a guy wants to take her back to his room, don't let her go; she absolutely cannot consent to a hook up. This is easier said than done. The girl might get mad, the guy might get mad, his brothers might get mad and the bystander might feel like he or she is ruining other people's fun, but it doesn't matter because it's better that someone doesn't get hurt.

Freshmen, you will encounter this don't take it lightly. This doesn't absolve upperclassmen of their responsibility to protect others, but you are especially unaware and vulnerable because you don't know the lay of the land yet. You, in looking forward to four more years here, also have the most power to further combat this enormous issue and create a campus culture that is both mindful and proactive.

Another problematic aspect of the Greek system is the binge drinking it encourages. It's different from the sort of drinking that happens at pregames, where people are encouraged to down multiple shots of hard liquor in a short amount of time. That doesn't mean that freshmen don't pregame before going out to the frats (though I would seriously admonish them not to), but when they get there, downing beer after beer doesn't seem so out of the ordinary. Ideally, college students wouldn't drink too much, but in all honesty they do. Just know that it's not cool to be throwing up, blacked out or Good-Sammed. Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't Good Sam someone if they are drunk, as risking someone's safety, even if he or she "doesn't seem so bad," is never worth it.

Though I couldn't agree more that our Greek system is sexist, furthers the segregation of students of different races and socioeconomic backgrounds and encourages binge drinking (not to mention hazing), I participate in it and enjoy it. It is important to recognize the flaws of a system, try to fix them and still have fun. It is also important to not feel like you have to fit a mold and adhere to the "fratty," "ragey," "social-climby" and "facetimey" Dartmouth ideals. Freshmen, you are going to have an awesome time. And even if you decide that Greek life isn't for you and don't participate in it, you will find other cool social avenues like the ones you went to before you could enter the frats. Finally, and most importantly, be safe, protect the safety of others and be respectful of your peers.