Where the Sidewalk Ends: A Guide to the Upper Valley

freshmenissue.mirror.mainst
freshmenissue.mirror.mainst

DINING

There inevitably comes a time in every student's relationship with FoCo when the once Hogwarts-esque dining hall loses its charm. The pizza you once devoured seems a bit too dry, the stir-fry line makes you feel like you've aged five years and you gag at the sight of another chicken nugget. (Disclaimer: the cookies never get old.)

Alas, the honeymoon phase is over, and your attention is drawn toward the unexplored land of off-campus dining.

First things first, unlock your iPhone and add a new contact for EBAs. Everything But Anchovies, Hanover's premier distributor of crappy late-night food, is faithfully at your beck and call every night until 2:10 a.m. Whether you're craving a cheeseburger pizza or some chicken tenders and smiley fries, EBAs has got your back.

Those of you as lazy as I am will appreciate that several eateries offer delivery service. While you're more than welcome to sit down for a Bolocco burrito, Chinese food at the Orient or Indian food at Jewel of India, sometimes dinner simply tastes better in bed.

Other palatable restaurants in town include Murphy's, Yama's Japanese-Korean fusion and Molly's, home to the infamous $2 margarita.

While King Arthur Flour caf in Baker-Berry Library has a great selection of food and drinks, be sure to stop by the Dirt Cowboy for a cup of joe. If you're not scared of a food coma, head down Main Street for some Morano Gelato, which Forbes magazine named the best gelateria in the country.

A couple of new eateries opened last spring, including The Swirl and Pearl frozen yogurt bar, Noodle Station and Candela tapas bar.

And make sure to check out Lou's Restaurant (I'm a fan of the omelets), and if you're up for it, take on the Lou's challenge, which I think fully acknowledging my nocturnal habits and the fact that I'm often up until 6 a.m. already is one of Dartmouth's relatively easier challenges.

OUTDOORS

I assume that nobody who matriculates at Dartmouth is under the impression that Hanover is even remotely metropolitan or suburban, so prepare to get your feet wet, literally.

Your first experience will likely be your First-Year Trip with the Dartmouth Outing Club. While some part ways with the DOC after Trips (hi), you crunchier kids can partake in many of the group's various activities, including mountain biking, cabin camping and even lumberjacking. The exceptionally brave of heart are welcome to attempt the 50, a nonstop 50-mile weekend hike along the Appalachian Trail from Hanover to the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge.

If, like me, you are so not down to hike for 30 hours straight, the Lodge is just an hour by car. Grab a couple of friends for a road trip, whether you want to stay the night, hike Mt. Moosilauke or just grab a home-cooked dinner after lounging on Leech Field.

While city kids may initially be discouraged by the scarcity of malls in Hanover, there is no shortage of other adventures to be had. Venture half an hour north of dear old Dartmouth to the Copper Mines or the Ledges for a quick dive, bare it all for the Ledyard Challenge in our very own Connecticut River or, alternatively, hop in a very frozen Occom Pond for the Polar Bear Swim during Winter Carnival.

MAIN STREET ATTRACTIONS

While I've personally become an online shopaholic over my freshman year, you should have no trouble procuring your basic necessities locally.

Populated primarily by small shops, Hanover welcomed two chain stores during last year, including J. Crew, a great place to alleviate your shopping appetite that offers Dartmouth students a 15 percent discount. Other popular clothing stores on Main Street include Bella and Indigo.

The CVS down the road carries the staple goods of college life, but if you're looking for some more flair in your life (or just flair!), head over to Walmart and Kmart in West Lebanon, where you can also find Panera Bread, McDonald's and Chili's.

Lest you start falling behind on the advancement of the civilized world, you can at least keep up with new movies at the Nugget Theater on Main Street.

Hopefully I've quelled some of your qualms by now, but if the aforementioned activities aren't among your pick of pastimes, the Upper Valley is a gorgeous area with no shortage of scenic escapes and charming stores. Go out and find your spots, and don't forget to bring me with you.