Student Spotlight: Annie Munger '13

4.15.13.arts.spotlight
4.15.13.arts.spotlight

Munger said she first became interested in filmmaking at the start of high school and came to Dartmouth knowing she wanted to pursue film studies.

"I chose Dartmouth because I wanted a school that had a rigorous liberal arts academic setting, but also had a good film department that had both production and theory," she said. "That is surprisingly hard to find."

Munger hopes to pursue a career in professional filmmaking and see how long she can support herself with grants.

"Ideally, I would love to do documentary filmmaking or documentary editing, but I'm also open to pretty much any job that keeps me in the film world," she said. "I'm interested in independent film, maybe even working for a film festival."

Munger is active in the Dartmouth Dance Ensemble, a student performance group under the direction of Ford Evans. After joining her freshman fall, Munger has danced in four large annual showcases. She remains committed to incorporating dance into her life after graduation.

"I think dance is also one of those things where, even if you're not dancing formally, it remains with you and in your body and it affects the way you do any movement," she said.

This term, Munger and three other dancers from the ensemble are planning a multimedia dance piece that combines physical expression with images, words and film. The project received a Year of the Arts mini-grant and will be performed at the Black Family Visual Arts Center on May 23.

After graduation, Munger will spend the year in Hyderabad, India on a Lombard Fellowship through the Dickey Center to work with the nonprofit "Voice 4 Girls."

"I will be doing social media and video marketing, making short documentaries, small interest pieces and maybe a larger trans-media piece that focus on the issues they address, which are female empowerment and education for young girls in Hyderabad," she said. "I want to see how I can use my film skills to get the issues they're addressing across and help them grow as an organization."