Q&A with the tattoo guy

Palaeopitus
Palaeopitus

Q. As far as you know, does Dragons Gate do most of the Dartmouth senior society tattoos?

A. Yep, as far as I know there's one [society] that goes somewhere else a bit further away and they do that for exclusivity. We do Gryphon, Sphinx, Phrygian, Dragon, [Fire and Skoal], used to do Phoenix but haven't done any in a year or two. Also Jackal and Cobra, and that's about it.

Q. How did you first get involved doing society tattoos?

A. I used to tattoo in Lyme when I moved here. I didn't see anyone for about a year [from societies]. The way I heard it, they weren't happy with the way they were treated at another place Some kids they were Dragons looked in a phone book and saw a place called Dragons Gate and latched right on. Now we do most of them.

Q. Does each society have a standard tattoo?

A. It's really standard image-wise. The Phoenix are a lot more relaxed about it and don't seem to be as secretive, and their image varies a bit, but they have one that is done predominately. The big [societies] all stick with the same thing. One person once got an old Dragon logo he was an alum, [so] he came in and got a more classic Dragon design, which I guess is something they came up with in the '60s. But for the most part everyone gets the same thing. The guys are pretty specific they get it [on] one spot on the body, under their arm. The girls are much more relaxed about where it's done.

Q. How does the process work? Do people need a reservation? Are they done in private?

A. We have another room and if someone needed privacy we can facilitate that. But for [the] most part it's one big room. Appointments are definitely best and almost always needed but we can do some on the spot if we're free. Usually the societies come in groups but people come in for independent stuff. It varies greatly.

Q. Which societies do you do the most often?

A. I'd say it depends from year to year, but there's a pretty decent amount of [Dragons]. It seems like there's a varying amount of participation, mainly Dragons and Gryphons.

Q. Have you noticed an increase or decrease in society tattoos in recent years? Is there a trend?

A. It's become a little more popular in general. That probably has something to do with [the fact] that tattoos are just a little more socially acceptable. They're usually juniors or seniors. Very rarely, but sometimes, they'll come in for Green Key as alumni and want to get it because they never got around to doing it and they regretted [not getting it].

Q. What is the most ridiculous request you've ever received?

A. They're all pretty standard. A couple of girls have wanted them in really discrete places that probably shouldn't be tattooed, like in between toes. But for the most part they're pretty standard.

Q. Can we see images?

A. No, that'd be a breach of trust. You'd have to get permission from the members themselves.