VOX CLAMANTIS: Inviting Change

Inviting Change

Matthew Ritger's Friday column in The Dartmouth ("The Gospel According to Matthew," Oct. 16) criticized the Greek system as an environment that promotes sexual assault. Every fraternity takes sexual assault very seriously; it affects all students, even in coeducational Greek houses. The answer is not to simply create more coed houses, but to foster a culture of communal respect on an individual level.

The Interfraternity Council met with the Sexual Assault Task Force last spring and took many of its recommendations to heart. To address the issue, the IFC, Panhellenic Council, and the Coed council now require every new member to attend a coed discussion on sexual assault with members of other Greek houses.

It is also important to note that the responsibility is not limited to fraternity members alone; prevention often involves prudent action by friends and spectators. In concert with a Greek reflection on ways to improve, the College can make an increased effort to educate everyone about sexual assault. The Greek system provides a structure for forming lifelong bonds with others as well as developing leadership. This year, a record number of sophomore men decided to rush. This is not only a testament to the strength of our system, but also to our power to address serious campus problems.

We want to make sure that our social spaces are not considered dangerous or intimidating
by our guests. In a situation involving assault, all students should feel empowered to act. As long as we can hold a civil and progressive discussion about the issues at hand, the Interfraternity Council is willing to consider all proposals for improvement.

**Michael DiBenedetto '10 is the Interfraternity Council Vice President of Public Relations*