Ask a Professor: Raul Bueno-Chavez

CP: Which FSP and LSA programs have you been a part of during your time at Dartmouth? Do you have a favorite?

RB: I have participated in all Spanish languages programs except the FSP in Madrid, which I expect to direct in the future. I even participated in programs that were transferred to other sites, such as the FSP in Puebla [1988, 2004] and the LSA in Granada [1990]. It is not exaggerating to say that all of those programs are my favorites. My calling, nevertheless, is for the programs in Spanish America: They are closer to my literary and cultural concerns.

What are some of the unanticipated challenges which students and professors face when studying abroad?

Unanticipated challenges come most of the time from changes in the social and economic stability of the target country. Those issues have motivated us to transfer two of our programs in the past. Other challenges come from changing regulations with money transfers and taxation on foreign currency. For instance, one year ago we faced serious difficulties in bringing the program money to Buenos Aires.

Do FSPs and LSAs ever run as smoothly as planned or are there always issues that arise abroad, whether large or small?

Issues, whether large or small, always arise in a program. In my personal experience, issues of note occur in one out of five programs. This type of problem involving students calls for the program director to act with a subtle combination of mentoring abilities and administrative duties.

Small issues can add stress and frustration to an otherwise good group. Most issues come from limitations overseas in what the facilities offer, and comfort entailed by the "American way of life." Other challenges come from the students' lack of attention during preparation sessions and from lack of care while overseas. Regardless of how much on-campus and on-site preparation they receive, some end up traveling with cumbersome luggage, losing personal belongings (credit cards, cameras, iPods and even laptops), contracting food-borne diseases or drinking alcohol beyond the safe level.

What have been the most rewarding parts and the most challenging aspects of teaching abroad?

The way in which students become truly appreciative and connected with the language and the Culture (with a capitalized letter) of the country. I saw students leaving Mexico or Uruguay or Argentina, at the end of their program, heartbroken and with tears in their eyes. This kind of sentiment is, to me, rewarding, uplifting and contagious! I teach American students to become friends to good international causes. What the world needs now (excuse me, dear Mr. Bacharach) is mutual understanding. That starts with understanding among neighboring countries, but includes knowledge based on personal experience and good faith.

What do you think is the most valuable lesson students learn while studying on their FSP or LSA, especially in South America?

They learn about themselves as much as about the peoples they visit. They learn how open-minded, receptive, tolerant, flexible, receptive and truly international they can be. With this process, they learn how their culture -- and civilization, as a matter of fact -- is being weighed, understood and portrayed. They learn how relationships can deal with differences and can profit from mutual understanding.

It seems that Dartmouth prioritizes FSPs and LSAs. How do you think Dartmouth's study abroad programs measure up to those of other schools?

With all respect to those from other institutions, Dartmouth overseas programs are the best. In my 20 years of teaching at Dartmouth, and after 11 programs conducted, I learned again and again from my peers and the administrators in our host institutions abroad about the abilities, preparation and commitment of our participants, and about the strength of our language programs overseas.

Christine is a staff writer for The Mirror. She went on the Buenos Aires FSP with professor Bueno-Chavez.