Christian groups collaborate to raise $5,000 for Asia Relief

Last night, campus Christian groups united to present "By the Fire," a worship session and concert to benefit Asia Relief.

The donations collected at the program will go to victims of the earthquake that rocked South Asia last October, killing 87,000 people and leaving another three million homeless.

The Asia Relief Committee was formed by the Tucker Foundation last year in response to the disaster.

Esau McCaulley, Assistant to the College Chaplin and the Pastor of the Logos Community since the beginning of last term, has been organizing this event since November and hoped to raise as much as $12,000.

The effort had managed a total of $5,012, though, before the conclusion of the program.

"Wintertime is approaching in that area of the world, and the people affected by the earthquake have no housing and no food. This program is literally 'buying the fire.' We want to provide shelter and food for them," McCaulley said.

McCaulley hoped the title "By the Fire" would encourage both members of the Dartmouth community and Upper Valley to gather together.

The Christian groups already had the idea for a fund-raising concert in the works when the earthquake took place.

They then decided to channel their efforts to help the victims of this disaster.

"This event became a way for the Dartmouth Christian community to show its concern for those affected by the earthquake," McCaulley said.

One of the draws for the Christian organizations to help this particular relief effort was that the earthquake affected a predominantly Hindu and Muslim population.

According to McCaulley, the sectarian organizations involved wanted to use this opportunity to demonstrate that there is no conflict between service and faith.

"The Christian religion has two great commandments: love your God and love your neighbor," McCaulley said.

"Your neighbor is anyone in need. You don't need to believe in the same God we do to need help."

Students involved with the program also agreed with the goals of the fund raiser.

"I think that this was very appropriate," Sara Ball '06, who directed and sang with the Aquinas House Choir, said.

"Also, in the wake of [Hurricane] Katrina, the earthquake didn't get a lot of publicity. "Because of the media cycle, it got ignored," McCaulley added.

The program began with a hymn by the Aquinas House Liturgical Choir, which was asked to start with something contemplative.

The Combined Student Worship Band, the X.ado a cappella group and the Gospel Choir also performed.

Sonia Faruqi '07, executive chair of Asia Relief, gave a brief presentation at intermission.

"What may be more important than the earthquake itself is the fact that it took place in Pakistan, a very poor nation," Faruqi said. "It's very important to raise money for these earthquake victims because they really don't have much right now."

Groups involved with the program included the Navigators Christian Fellowship, Provision Christian Fellowship, the Aquinas House, Christian Impact, the Logos Community, Agape Christian Fellowship and the Christian Graduate Student Fellowship.

The event also held value as a rare opportunity for the campus Christians to work collectively and present a unique musical collaboration.

"Obviously I hope to raise a lot of money, but I also think that it is a good opportunity for the Christian groups on campus to get together and perform," Ball said.

"As long as I've been at Dartmouth, we never had anything like this."