Get Involved, Get Registered and Vote in New Hampshire

Let me just throw this right out there: if you don't get involved in politics when you get to Dartmouth, you're a worthless piece of crap. Yes, that's right, a worthless piece of crap.

The 2004 presidential election is likely to be one of the most important events of our relatively brief lives -- up there with the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Sept. 11 attacks and that episode of the Fresh Prince when Boyz II Men perform at Nicky's christening. On one side, you've got a knowledgeable and respected longtime senator who has the best interest of the county in mind. And on the other side, you've got a brain-dead corporate whore who would sacrifice the lives of American soldiers in order to promote his own reelection. But please, don't let my views bias you in any particular direction.

The point is, no matter what side of the political spectrum you find yourself and no matter which of the candidates strikes your fancy, this is not an election to sit out. New Hampshire is the only real "swing state" in New England, and if Al Gore had squeezed out an extra 7,000 votes in the Granite State four years ago, Bush could have cheated as much as he desired in Florida, and he still would have lost.

New Hampshire is not a large state, and the 4,000 undergrads at Dartmouth can actually have a pretty huge impact on the overall results. Furthermore, same-day registration takes away any last excuse from the lazy, apathetic sluggard who would spend four years and thousands upon thousands of dollars learning about the world and then fail to make the most basic contribution asked of Americans.

I have a roommate who we'll call "Dravid" to protect his identity. Dravid spends his days in the basement of our apartment -- a smelly, lightless hellhole that we call "the cave" -- and all he really does is get high, play video games and occasionally order calzones from C&A's Pizzeria. Dravid votes. Be like Dravid.

Or, you could actually make the most of Dartmouth's prime location at the center of the political world. Yes, Hanover is miserable in the winter. But there is this funny little thing called the New Hampshire primary that comes around every four years and makes Hanover a second home for any politician who feels like running the country. John Kerry, John Edwards, Wesley Clark, Howard Dean, Joe Lieberman and Dennis Kucinich each made multiple appearances on campus this winter, flipping pancakes, shaking hands, looking like an angry little elf (okay, that was only Kucinich) and introducing themselves to any student they could find. It actually got a little ridiculous toward the end; sometimes I would see Lieberman on the corner of Main Street and I'd duck down a side street to avoid encountering that Yoda-look-a-like.

Getting involved is pretty easy too. Go to one of the countless Rocky discussion forums, get free food and talk about issues that interest you. Join one of the political groups on campus, like the Young Dems, the Greens or the College Republicans. Although keep in mind a quotation forwarded to me by a friend of mine who heard this from some kid at another school: "He's the President of the College Republicans?! What the f*** is 'College Republicans'? That's just, like, a code word for virgins."

And you can write! Write for the op-ed page of The Dartmouth, or the leftward leaning Free Press. Or if you're one of those awkward, socially inept, pasty white kids from an intolerant upper class family and you like to make fun of minorities and Jews and pretend that you're a really sweet guy when you actually have lots of inner-anger problems that will constantly plague you until your worthless marriage falls apart and you have a mental breakdown in your mid-40s, I wholeheartedly encourage you to write for The Dartmouth Review. Really, they do a great job.

Dartmouth is pretty tight, no matter what you do. But if you're going to spend four years of your life hanging out, having a good time and learning some pretty interesting stuff, you might as well take a couple minutes out of every week to make a small difference in this world. It's easy, it's fun and you may never get another chance to be this close to decisions that will shape the course of your life.

When you get to Dartmouth in September, walk over to Town Hall and register to vote. If you're from California, New York, Texas or any other solidly Democratic or Republican state, your vote will mean a whole lot more in New Hampshire. As a Dartmouth student you have every right to vote here, and changing registration is simple and free of consequences. It'll take you a few minutes to sign the forms, and it will save you hours on Election Day when the Republican lawyers show up at Hanover High and challenge every voter who looks like a college student.

Have a great summer!