'00 class officers named

The 2000 Class Council last night elected Peter Cataldo as its president when it elected its officers for the rest of the year.

Catalado beat 10 other students for the office of class president. Freshman Noah Phillips defeated eight classmates in his run for vice president. Nick Krasucki '00 was elected class treasurer and Brian Feldman '00 was elected secretary.

Catalado said he is very excited to be elected president. "I'm looking forward to a great year," he said.

Hesaid he believes the president's role in the council "is to channel the interest of the council and the efforts the council should take."

He said the first item on his agenda is to find out what other members of the council want him to concentrate on.

"The first thing I would like to do is to hand out a survey to each member of the council," he continued. "My main plan for the council is to make sure everybody has a chance to work together."

Phillips said he has never held an elected office before.

"It's always something that I wanted to do," he said. "I think our class has as much potential as any class in Dartmouth history, if not more. I would like to play a major role harnessing that."

Phillips detailed three items he wants the council to work on. He wants to lobby for a new printing facility closer to the River cluster, a Michael Jackson tribute dance and a "Back to Kindergarten" weekend.

"I'm really thankful to the members of the freshman class council for electing me," Phillips said. "It's a great honor and I'm going to give them and the freshman class my best effort."

Cataldo said he is very enthusiastic about working with Phillips.

"We didn't meet before tonight but I look forward to working with him," he said. "He seemed very energetic and hard-working."