Page takes the helm of DHMC board

College Trustee Richard Page '54 was recently elected chairman of the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Board of Trustees.

"I am very excited," Page said. "I am looking forward to working with all of the organizations that the DHMC supports."

Page, an attorney specializing in international insurance matters, has been a member of the Board of Trustees since 1990 andjoined the DHMC board of trustees in 1994.

"I think this is a very challenging time for all health care delivery systems throughout the country," he said.

Page stressed the importance of continuing funding for research and academic projects that involve the teaching mission of the DHMC.

In addition, Page said the job of the board is to support the constituency of the DHMC, citing the hospital, clinic, medical school and Matthew Thorton health plan as part.

Page is also chairman of the Will to Excel campaign, the College's main fundraising effort. He retired in 1990 as Vice Chairman and Director of Sedgwick Group of London.

Page said in no way will his work with the Will to Excel campaign interfere with his new role as the DHMC trustee chairman.

"I think that they are two entirely different types of responsibilities," he said. "The Will to Excel campaign is a very well organized operation at a high level of efficiency -- we are marching on to our goal of $500 million."

While he lives in Darien, Conn., Page said he is no stranger to Hanover as he visits four times annually for College trustee meetings, a few times a year for committee work on Development and Alumni Relations and board committee meetings.

John Hennessey, chairman of the DHMC board for the past three years, said Page "possesses considerable experience in leadership and governance of major organization, and we are delighted to have his fresh perspective brought to the chairmanship of the DHMC board." Page is currently a trustee of the College of Insurance, and the director of the National Crime Prevention Council.