Mother of graduate dies in car accident

Veronica Mullei never finished her journey from Kenya to Hanover.

The mother of Silla Mullei '95 had traveled halfway around the world to see her son graduate from Dartmouth. But Veronica Mullei was killed in a car accident Wednesday night as her son drove back to their hotel after meeting her at Logan Airport in Boston.

Mullei, 50, of Nairobi, Kenya, died in a collision caused by a speeding car, according to Massachusetts State Police. The accident took place at 10:40 p.m. Wednesday.

As The Dartmouth went to press Thursday night, police and College officials still did not have any idea of Silla's location, according to College spokesman Roland Adams.

"We have not been able to talk with Silla because we have not been able to determine his present whereabouts," Adams wrote in an electronic mail message. "It is not clear whether anyone was in the vehicle with the Mulleis, but we have no reports of any other injuries to occupants of that vehicle."

"As far as we have been able to determine, Silla Mullei was not injured, but we are trying to confirm that information," Adams wrote.

The Dartmouth could not reach Mullei for comment.

Mullei, a 22-year-old engineering major at the College, is scheduled to graduate Sunday.

Mullei's roommates said they had not heard from Mullei since Wednesday afternoon. Jon Landy '95, one of Mullei's roommates, said Mullei rented a car Wednesday to drive to Boston to meet his mother, who was flying from Kenya.

Landy said Mullei's mother and father were arriving on separate flights. Mullei was supposed to meet his father, Andrew, at the airport Thursday afternoon.

Landy said it was uncharacteristic for Mullei to be unreachable. He said he thought Mullei was probably busy dealing with the hospital and meeting his father.

The Associated Press reported that Mullei's car was struck by a car driven by Cecilia Cumberbatch, 31, of Lawrence, Mass.

Cumberbatch's car, traveling at more than 84 mph on Interstate 93, went out of control, struck a guard rail and bounced across the multi-lane highway into Mullei's car and others headed in the same direction, Massachusetts State Trooper J. Ralph McNeil told the AP.

Cumberbatch was cited for motor vehicle homicide, operating to endanger, speeding and failure to stay in marked lanes, the AP reported. Authorities were unsure when she would be arraigned.

Adams said Thursday he did not know if the College would have a moment of silence to remember Veronica Mullei during the Commencement ceremonies.

"People are still trying to absorb this," Adams said. "Obviously, we're deeply sorry. This is terribly tragic. We feel deeply for the Mullei family."

Enrico Riley '95, one of Mullei's roommates, told the AP that Mullei was excited to show his parents the Dartmouth campus and had prepared for their arrival for days.

"I think it was the first time his parents were coming up," Riley said.

Mullei's friends held a candlelight vigil for him and his family Thursday night in Rollins Chapel. The vigil was organized by Candace Howell '95. Howell could not be reached for comment.

Adams said students were planning to collect money to help Mullei with the incident's financial burden.