Fox now on cable

Dartmouth students can watch their favorite National Football League teams on Sunday afternoons and "Melrose Place" on Monday nights this fall.

Twin State Cable, which provides cable service to the College and the Upper Valley, has added the Fox television network to its basic cable service. Fox is on cable channel two.

Fox television, which broadcasts such popular prime-time television shows as "Beverly Hills, 90210" and "Married with Children," was not previously available in the Upper Valley.

Earlier this year, Fox paid $400 million for the rights to broadcast NFL games.

Twin State Cable started broadcasting Fox as part of its basic service on June 30, said Debbie DeHavens, office manager for the company.

Twin State decided to start broadcasting Fox because of a large consumer demand, she said.

"There was a big demand for the NFL," DeHavens said. "With all the stuff in the media about the switch, people called us."

Twin State also added Fox's sister station, fX, to its expanded basic service, DeHavens said.

Twin State plans to add ESPN2, The Food Channel, Country Music Television, The Learning Channel, CSPAN2 and the Spice pay-per-view channel, which shows adult entertainment, in September.

College dormitories receive basic cable service, while many of the Greek houses subscribe to the expanded service.