Pomp and pageantry mark start of 224th academic year

President James Freedman and documentary film maker Ken Burns urged students and faculty to steep themselves in history to help shape the future during the College's 224th Commencement ceremonies yesterday in Leede Arena.

Freedman, Burns and Student Assembly President Nicole Artzer '94 spoke from a podium fashioned from the stump of the Lone Pine tree to students and faculty members, many of whom donned colorful academic robes.

Audience members joined the Glee Club in singing "America the Beautiful" to open the ceremony and the College's Alma Mater to close it.

Burns received an honorary doctorate of humane letters from the College for his film work and a minute-long standing ovation from the more than 1,000 students and faculty members gathered for his address.

"Our future lies behind us," said Burns, who stressed the importance of recognizing the past to help understand and shape the future.

Burns, whose films focus on distinct parts of American history, like the building of the Brooklyn Bridge, the history of the Shakers and the Statue of Liberty, said not enough Americans pay attention to history.

"We tend to ignore our past, always looking forward," he said. "This becomes a tear, a gap in who we are."

While Americans should remember that the country was founded on the motto, "All men are created equal," Burns said people should also not forget "that that proclamation did not include blacks, women or the poor ... that equality did not come all at once and has still to come."

Burns discussed the role of the Civil War in the nation's history, and juxtaposed it with current events.

"Today we're in the midst of a new, subtler, perhaps more dangerous civil war [fighting for] our sense of heritage, our sense of balance and our sense of cohesion," he said.

Burns complimented and criticized multiculturalism. He endorsed exploring different angles to history but warned about using history to draw people apart. He challenged students and faculty to "become soldiers in a new Union army, a vanguard against separatism and disunion."

Freedman's seventh Commencement address encouraged members of the audience to "engage in a life-long pursuit of education" during and beyond their College years, as statesman Ralph Bunche and U.S. President Harry S. Truman did.

"I hope you find Dartmouth a commonwealth of learning that enriches your sense of self and nurtures your growth as individuals and citizens of the countries of the world," he said.

Freedman cited the accomplishments of Bunche, an international diplomat of the middle 20th century who helped form the United Nations. He praised Truman as a scholar and independent thinker.

Speaking for the first time as Student Assembly President, Artzer challenged students to make names for themselves on campus by getting involved in activities, joining organizations and meeting people.

Artzer's straight-forward welcome to the student body contrasted with that of her predecessor, Andrew Beebe '93, who last fall used his Convocation speech to propose a co-ed Greek system.

"This College belongs to you," Artzer said. "But the relationship is reciprocal. Only because of the things you do here and the person you are is Dartmouth yours."