Outreach counselor heads Women's Center

Former Dick's House counselor Sandy Spiegel has stepped in as the interim director of the Women's Resource Center.

Over the summer, Mary Childers, the former director of the Center was appointed as the College's Director of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity.

Spiegel, who took over from Childers Sept. 7, is not new to the Dartmouth community. She worked part-time last spring and summer at Dick's House as an outreach counselor, primarily in the College's African-American community.

As an outreach counselor, Spiegel provided African-American students with an opportunity to talk with someone of similar culture and background.

Spiegel previously worked as a psychotherapitst at a private practice in Norwich, Vt. and as a school guidance counselor last year. She also worked with the Sexual Abuse Treatment Team, a social service agency in White River Junction. Spiegel said she has handled women's issues during each of her counseling jobs and that she has developed mediation skills that will assist her as interim director of the center.

"When I worked as a psychotherapist, many of my clients were adolecents and women that were sex abuse survivors," Spiegel said.

Kathleen Karr, an administrative assistant at the center, thinks Spiegel has a lot to offer the center.

"Sandy Spiegel enthusiastically approaches her interim directorship with a deep commitment to women's issues and a sincere understanding of the concerns and needs of students," Karr said.

Rachel Perri, '94, an intern at the center, said she is excited to be working with the interim director. "I think Sandy will bring a lot of enthusiasm to the Women's Resource Center," she said.

Karr said she believes Spiegel's experience in counseling will aid her in the coming year.

"In her capacity as a counselor, Sandy can provide the guidance and support students sometimes choose to seek outside of Dick's House," Karr said.

Spiegel will remain director through June. Dean of Students Lee Pelton will form a search committee soon to start looking for a permanent director.