Summer brings most athletes relaxed practices

Nick Weir '09 of the varsity track team is one of many sophomore athletes who enjoy more relaxed training schedules over the summer.

Heather Jankins '09, a member of Dartmouth's swim team, said that the team trains about 10 hours per week over five days during the summer compared to 20 hours a week over six days during the regular season.

Likewise, Jamie Caplan '09 of the women's tennis team trains less often during the summer, spending three hours a week on the court compared to the 20 hours per week she normally practices.

In addition to a reduced time commitment, athletes on certain teams have the option of missing an occasional practice in the summer.

"In season we're required to be at every practice unless there is a special circumstance that we've talked to the coaches about," Jankins said. "This summer, if we can't make it to practice for whatever reason it's not really an issue."

For some, summer is also an opportunity to train without worrying about imminent competition.

"The summer is also more relaxed because we have the whole term to concentrate on individual aspects of our swimming," Jankins said.

Hari Iyer '09 of the cross-country team echoed Jankins' sentiments.

"Generally we back off the mileage during the season because we want to be fresh for our races," he said. "We don't have to worry about workouts or races, so we can just enjoy the Hanover trails, which is nice."

While many sports scale back workouts for the summer, the football team has taken the opposite approach. Instead of taking more time off, they have increased the volume of individual and team training.

"We are lifting four days a week and running five days a week," running back Milan Williams '09 said. "This is making me get in the best shape of my life. I am pretty sure no one on our team has trained like this before."

Dartmouth's coaches have varied involvement in their athletes' summer training. Participation ranges from the hands-off approach of the cross-country coaches to individual instruction by the swimming coaches.

Iyer explained that coach Barry Harwick '77 simply e-mails the cross-country runners every so often to make sure team members are behaving appropriately.

In contrast, the coaches of the swim team manage all aspects of summer training.

"The [swimming] coaches still write all of our workouts both in and out of the pool and are in charge of running the dry land training and swimming practices," Jankins said, adding that team members benefit from more individualized attention during the summer.

While Big Green athletes are enjoying the opportunities of sophomore summer, they are also anxious for the competition that lies ahead in the coming school year.

"I am enjoying summer training and like the unique opportunities it offers, but I am also looking forward to the fall when the rest of the team comes back and meets start again," Jankins said. "While I am happy to put in the work now, I can't wait to see the payoffs next year."

Others stressed the more relaxed atmosphere of spending summer practices with just members of the Class of 2009.

"I am enjoying sophomore summer training with just my class," Sarah VanDyke '09, a nordic skier, said. "It's more relaxed than when the whole team is around. Mostly because I feel like there's less competition within the team members during practice."

Iyer also addressed the effects of absent teammates.

"I think it would be great to have all the guys here so that we could run together, but there's enough of my teammates here to help me stay focused on staying healthy and training towards the cross country and track seasons."

At least one student is confident that the summer training regimen will lead to success when it really matters, during the regular season.

"I would rather the whole team be here so everyone can be in this kind of shape," Williams said, "Come to all the football games next year. We're going to be ballin'!"