Scott D. Anthony
The Setonian
News

Police investigate sophomore's injuries

Hanover Police is still investigating how John Coleman '98 received extensive head wounds that caused him to bleed profusely early Saturday morning, and have not ruled out the possibility that he was involved in a fight. Although Hanover Police Detective Sergeant Frank Moran said there currently is no evidence that Coleman was involved in an "altercation," he said "there is still some degree of mystery with regard to what happened." "We're not sure if he could have been in an altercation or if he just fell," Moran said.

The Setonian
News

Former sorority presidents, calling for gender equity, ask for new house

The former presidents of five of the College's six largest sororities yesterday issued a public statement calling for the College to establish gender equity in the social system by creating parity among the number of single-sex fraternities, sororities and coeducational houses. The two-page statement, titled "Statement on Sex Equity in the Coed Fraternity Sorority System at Dartmouth," went to many top administrators, including Acting College President James Wright and Dean of the College Lee Pelton. In the statement, the sorority leaders call for the College to find "ways to encourage the formation of more women's and coeducational organizations so that the size of organizations within the sorority system will decrease." There are six sororities, three coed fraternities, two coed undergraduate societies and one historically black sorority, compared with 15 fraternities and two historically black fraternities.

More articles »