White '95 strives to hold on to NFL dream

Brian White '95 always was a New England Patriots fan, and on Friday he will take the first step in pursuing his childhood dream of playing professional football when he suits up for the Patriots in their exhibition opener against the Detroit Lions.

Although the Patriots have not announced whether or not White will appear in Friday's game, team spokesman Adam Nemirow said Coach Bill Parcells "said he's going to try to get as many players in the game as possible."

That means White, who is hoping to make the up-and-coming Patriots as a non-drafted free agent, might get his first professional experience under the lights of Foxboro Stadium in Foxborough, Mass.

White, a 6-foot, 195-pound defensive back, is hoping to hang on as a backup free safety for the Patriots, who finished 10-6 last year and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Last year, there were five safeties on the Patriots roster. Harlan Barnett, Corwin Brown, Myron Guyton, Terry Ray and Larry Whigham all return from last year's team. White is also fighting with Eddie Cade, a non-drafted free agent from Arizona State University.

Nemirow said the Patriots will trim their roster to 60 players on Aug. 22 and then cut the roster down to its final size of 53 on Aug. 27. He would not comment on how likely it is that White will make the team.

White, who is at the Patriots' training camp in Smithfield, R.I., could not be reached for comment.

White has close family ties to professional sports -- his father, Jo Jo White, was a star for the Boston Celtics, and his cousin, Devon White, plays baseball for the Toronto Blue Jays.

White was selected to the first team of the All-Ivy football team after his senior season, where he had four interceptions and set a school record for single-season kickoff return yardage. He also was named to the first team of the All-New England football team and was selected to represent the Ivy League in the Epson/Ivy Bowl in Osaka, Japan.

For his career he had 139 tackles, six interceptions and 900 return yards.

White signed a two-year contract with the Patriots on April 25.

In a previous interview, White said he was excited that the Patriots were interested in him.

"I never expected [to hear from the Patriots] but my fingers were crossed," he said. "I went to Patriots' games as a kid. I am happy to be returning to Massachusetts and will be near my family next year."

White said he hopes to study law or broadcasting while playing professional football.

"I plan to take football as far as I can but you never know when your career will end," he said. "My mother has always encouraged me to pursue my education, my dad has influenced my athletics."