John S. Leyba,
The Setonian
Opinion

Party on, dudes.

Let me get this straight: The College is paying for EBA's to bring pizza to frat parties ("College-funded 'party packs' provide non-alcoholic alternative," April 8)? Oh, yeah, they provide sodas too?

The Setonian
Opinion

Network Security: Cluck, Cluck Indeed

To the Editor: Daniel Ng's op-ed ("Network Failure, April 5) and Larry Levine's Letter to the Editor (April 15) both made excellent points regarding the importance of network redundancy and challenges of computer security at the College. The tragedy in Dartmouth's case has been the shift over the last decade from a mostly Macintosh campus to a mostly Windows PC campus, one that has led to a skyrocketing of support costs (wait, I thought PCs were supposed to be cheaper?!) and network issues generated by peer-to-peer clients, spy-ware, and Outlook-based worms and viruses that run through the campus network like they own it. Every PC I have seen in the last several years has had a bout with nimda, mydoom, code-red, code-blue, etc.

The Setonian
Opinion

Exercising a Right

To the Editor: Andrew Hanauer's Sept. 30 column "Total Recall" about the California Recall failed to "clear up" any eastern (or other) misconceptions about the recall.

The Setonian
Opinion

One More Thing

To the Editor: I loved Paul Marino's April 11 column "Berry Library." He forgot, however, its most annoying feature: the bizarre system of separate elevators for every part of the building, and Elevator One's doors (by the Info Desk), which creak and squeak every time they open and close, as if they were 40 years old.

The Setonian
News

New deans take posts tomorrow

Incoming Dean of the College James Larimore and Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman will assume their posts tomorrow, replacing acting deans Dan Nelson and Mary Liscinsky. Larimore comes from Stanford University, where he has been involved in student affairs since 1985, to fill the office vacated at the end of last school year by Lee Pelton, now president of Willamette University.

The Setonian
News

Two rooms in Rocky now 'smart classrooms'

The College spent more than $120,000 last summer to make two classrooms in the Rockefeller Center "smart classrooms." Besides new carpet and furniture, the projectors in Rocky 1 and Rocky 2 were outfitted with dual platform computers that run both Windows 95 and the Macintosh Operating System, as well as multimedia kiosks containing compact disc, cassette, videocassette players and "document cameras." Document cameras are high-tech overhead projectors that allow professors to project images of books, magazines and other paper media without having to make transparencies. Focused lighting ensures that the blackboards stay lit while the lights near the video monitor are dimmed. What differentiates these rooms from other "high-tech" facilities on campus is the integration of diverse media.

The Setonian
News

Hanover Co-Op opens at Centerra

The Co-Op Food Store will celebrate its grand opening tomorrow in its new Dartmouth-owned facility three miles from campus. Situated in the College's Centerra resource park on Route 120, the 35,000 sq.

More articles »