Arika L. Easley
The Setonian
Arts

Wyclef keeps audience 'staying alive' at free concert

The theme for the night was simple, yet profound: "music for building the connection with people," as one of the producers for the Fugees expressed after the Wyclef Jean concert last night at Leede Arena. Attended by a standing room crowd of undergraduates, the evening began with a two hour concert with Dartmouth's own The Groovemerchant, featuring the mellow sounds of Tony Jurado '98 on alto saxophone and a special appearance by "free-styling" Saadiah Fowlkes '96. As usual, they amazed the crowd with their diverse musical forms which spanned styles of funk, reggae, rock and hip hop. Soon after this concert, a long line formed as students patiently waited to enter Leede for the free concert sponsored by the Programming Board. Most students were aware that The Fugees were scheduled to perform in a concert last year but had to cancel due to exhaustion from their hectic touring schedule. However, what most students didn't know is that Wyclef Jean and the Refugee All-Stars are only scheduled to perform at one college - and Dartmouth College was selected. Wyclef's debut album, "The Carnival" was featured in the concert, in addition to some pleasant surprises. The two opening acts, Destiny's Child and Fatbag, did a fine job at getting the audience anxious for the star performance.

The Setonian
Arts

The Roots blow up Webster Hall

Hip-hop purists, The Roots, descended on a capacity-filled Webster Hall last Thursday night and presented their energetic concert to screaming College students and visitors. Beginning with an opening band from Boston, Down Low Connection, the concert really started when members of The Roots -- Rahzel, ?uestlove, Kamal and lyricist Black Thought -- took to the stage. Rahzel had the audience in the constant state of awe as he demonstrated his phenomenal human beat boxing techniques. He was able to beat box, sing many popular tunes and sound as if he were scratching a record, all without missing a beat or losing a breath. ?uestlove certainly demonstrated his talent on the drums and wooed the audience by closing his eyes during his solo performance. Kamal charmed the audience with his keyboard of playing the keys with his tongue. Lastly, the group's lyricist Black Thought managed to lead the crowd in the singing of favorite hip-hop songs from the past, while performing selections from The Roots latest and past LP releases. The Roots certainly presented their affinity and love for hip-hop music by singing and rapping many classic hip-hop favorites from such artists as LL Cool J and Run DMC.

The Setonian
Arts

The Braxtons create musical identity without sister Toni: Tamar, Towanda and Trina Braxton are featured on their debut R&B album titled 'So Many Ways' from Atlantic

Just when you thought Toni Braxton could not sing "another sad love song," her three younger sisters, The Braxtons, have recently surfaced on the R&B scene with their debut album, "How Many Ways," released this Tuesday. It is certainly a bit of a coincidence that the title of the album and first release is strikingly close to Toni Braxton's hit "How Many Ways" from her self-titled debut album. Currently, "How Many Ways" is scaling the R&B charts and will appear on the soundtrack to a forthcoming film, entitled, "High School High." There is surely nothing sad about this tune, which manages to balance an upbeat tempo while maintaining a sultry allure. The notable producer, Jermaine Dupri, attempts to echo Sean "Puffy" Combs, in the way he rhythmically ad-libs throughout the song and Tamar (18), Trina (21) and Towanda (22) Braxton surge forth with unmitigated sex appeal. This album actually is not the first one to bear The Braxtons' name.

More articles »