The Braxtons create musical identity without sister Toni: Tamar, Towanda and Trina Braxton are featured on their debut R&B album titled 'So Many Ways' from Atlantic

Just when you thought Toni Braxton could not sing "another sad love song," her three younger sisters, The Braxtons, have recently surfaced on the R&B scene with their debut album, "How Many Ways," released this Tuesday.

It is certainly a bit of a coincidence that the title of the album and first release is strikingly close to Toni Braxton's hit "How Many Ways" from her self-titled debut album.

Currently, "How Many Ways" is scaling the R&B charts and will appear on the soundtrack to a forthcoming film, entitled, "High School High." There is surely nothing sad about this tune, which manages to balance an upbeat tempo while maintaining a sultry allure.

The notable producer, Jermaine Dupri, attempts to echo Sean "Puffy" Combs, in the way he rhythmically ad-libs throughout the song and Tamar (18), Trina (21) and Towanda (22) Braxton surge forth with unmitigated sex appeal.

This album actually is not the first one to bear The Braxtons' name. In 1989, a 12-inch single titled "The Good Life" "went zinc," as Towanda said in a recent interview in Vibe Magazine. Toni, and their oldest sister, Traci, were both featured on this single. However Toni signed with LaFace records in 1990. The Braxtons accompanied Toni on her 1993 and 1995 world tours.

With Toni as a successful R&B singer, the first thought that may come to mind is any underlying case of sibling rivalry. However, the sisters warm dedications to Toni inserted in the release's cover does not seem to suggest any type of animosity.

The Braxtons seem to struggle in forming their own unique musical identity. However, the influence of genetics is incredibly powerful, since one cannot help but hear the striking similarities between The Braxtons and their diva sister in their voice and technique -- not to mention that they mirror one another in looks.

"Slow Flow" the second track on the album has a catchy, funky, R&B edge which definitely keeps your feet tapping. But again, with Toni's song entitled, "Let it Flow", that appeared on the "Waiting to Exhale" soundtrack, one may wonder why there seems to be a lack of originality in the themes of these songs. Comparable to the third song on the album, "Only Love", the lyrics of the songs beckon the listener to remain strong and courageous in dealing with obstacles in life and love.

It should not be a surprise to R&B music lovers to find that The Braxtons follow the popular trend of reviving songs of the past. One will quickly begin to sing along to the chorus of the 1986 song, "I'd Still Say Yes" by the group, Climax.

Not only do they revive a hit of the '80s, they dig even further back into the treasures of the '70s with a Diana Ross mega-dance hit, "This Boss" for their last track. It begins will a hip-hop beat, crescendos to a bit of a violin interlude, and then jumps back to that disco sound of the '70s. I guarantee that you will not possibly be able to sit still in your seats.

Remember Trey Lorenz, the star backup singer who sings the powerful solo in Mariah Carey's rendition of "I'll Be There?" Well, he appears on this album, in the ballad, "Take Home to Momma," a song seemingly dedicated to those couples who are in the process of making the covenant of marriage.

Overall, the songs on which The Braxtons harmonize well such as in "Never Say Goodbye" tend to sound the best The seductive tune, "What Does it Take" is the epitome of slow dancing songs, with its' perfect tempo and the smooth ending, reminiscent of the old school slow joint, "Computer Love."

"L.A.D.I." adds a sweet Caribbean dimension to the assortment of melodies on the album, which embraces the essence of a Sade song with an added sound of its own.

I recommend this album to all lovers of R&B music, who will be able to fully appreciate all of the nuances to the rhythms and sounds of yesteryears. As the record publicity states, The Braxtons prove that just one Braxton is not enough.