The Roots blow up Webster Hall

Hip-hop purists, The Roots, descended on a capacity-filled Webster Hall last Thursday night and presented their energetic concert to screaming College students and visitors.

Beginning with an opening band from Boston, Down Low Connection, the concert really started when members of The Roots -- Rahzel, ?uestlove, Kamal and lyricist Black Thought -- took to the stage.

Rahzel had the audience in the constant state of awe as he demonstrated his phenomenal human beat boxing techniques.

He was able to beat box, sing many popular tunes and sound as if he were scratching a record, all without missing a beat or losing a breath.

?uestlove certainly demonstrated his talent on the drums and wooed the audience by closing his eyes during his solo performance.

Kamal charmed the audience with his keyboard of playing the keys with his tongue.

Lastly, the group's lyricist Black Thought managed to lead the crowd in the singing of favorite hip-hop songs from the past, while performing selections from The Roots latest and past LP releases.

The Roots certainly presented their affinity and love for hip-hop music by singing and rapping many classic hip-hop favorites from such artists as LL Cool J and Run DMC. However, many Roots fans in the audience felt the group should have concentrated and performed more from their own repertoire.

Marene Jennings '98 said she went to the concert, although not because she was a Roots fan, but a hip-hop fan in general.

"However, after the concert, I became a Roots fan, she said. "The show was terrific -- especially their displayed knowledge of the history of hip-hop."

Elizabeth Tripoli '99 was as well entertained by the group.

"The concert was amazing," she said. A live performance allowed [The Roots] to present some of the talents that does not always come through on a CD."

Students should certainly appreciate being able to see this band, on the brink of stardoom.