Sound of Motown to groove at Dartmouth

As youthful Dartmouth students of the 90's, the term "Motown" means something completely different now than it did about thirty years ago to most of our parents.

The Programming Board chose to bridge the generation gap by bringing "The Temptations" to Dartmouth's Leede Arena on April 25th.In the sixties, the "sound of Motown" was the new musical development emerging out of the social and political climate of the decade. As a musical form, it eventually came to dominate not only the American music industry, but the international one as well.

The source of the sound was Berry Gordy, who created the early music out of a simple run-down office on the rough side of Detroit, Michigan. Gordy began his business at a young age, and his goal was to turn his passion for music into the first major African-American owned and run record company. With a small staff and meager funds, Gordy gave birth to what became known as the rhythm and blues "sound of Motown."

Sharon Davis, author of "Motown: The History" describes the Motown sound in this manner: "Based on a simple beat, complemented by a handful of repetitive arrangements and verses, against a tight, disciplined sound, Motown music was instantly recognized."

The powerhouse artists and musical groups that helped to promote the Motown sound include: The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, the Four Tops, Gladys Knight and The Pips and Lionel Richie. However, one group had an essential role in spreading the Motown musical trend: "The Temptations."

The five original members of "The Temptations" were Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin, Paul Williams, Eddie Kendricks and Eldridge Bryant. They were, and still are, notorious for their innovative dancing step routines accompanied by appropriate lyrics and hand gestures.

"The Temptaions" grew out of other groups such as "The Elegants," "The Primes," "The Distants" and "The Elgins." It was under the latter name that they were introduced to Motown in 1962 by Jackie Wilson.

Otis Williams recollects: "We were asked round to his house to sing for him. Jackie must have liked what he heard because he got in touch with Berry Gordy."

As "The Elgins," they recorded their first two singles in 1961 on the Miracle record label. In 1962, the Gordy label replaced Miracle and "The Temptations" were born.

The start for "The Temptations" was rocky -- after releasing a few "non-selling" tunes in 1962, they recorded "Mind Over Matter" on the Melody label in September 1962 calling themselves "The Pirates."

In 1964, Smokey Robinson, of "The Miracles," collaborated his talents with Gordy and "The Temptations" were able to taste the first spices of stardom.

Robinson and Bobby Rogers, another member of "The Miracles," were responsible for writing their 1964 hit, "The Way You Do The Things You Do."

"My Girl" was written by David Ruffin, who replaced Eldridge Bryant early in "The Temptations'" history. This song was actually written for Ruffin's daughter.

It is evident that the history of "The Temptations" as we know them today is certainly not monolithic. There have been several changes in the dynamics of the group throughout the years in terms of members and record labels.

The one thing that has not changed is the musical genius and classical form that "The Temptations" have created -- which the Dartmouth community will have an opportunity to experience on April 25th.