The Weekend Roundup: Week 8

11.4.19.sports.womenvolleyball2_SamHysa.jpg

The Big Green volleyball team dropped home matches against Yale and Brown this weekend.

Football

The football team kept its perfect season alive on a last-second Hail Mary to beat Harvard University 9-6 on Saturday. The Big Green is now 7-0 on the season and 4-0 in Ivy League play.

The Big Green offense struggled for most of the day, but came through when it mattered most on a 96-yard touchdown drive with under a minute remaining. Harvard appeared to seal the victory with a strip sack of quarterback Derek Kyler ’21 with just over a minute to play deep in Dartmouth territory, but the Big Green defense forced a turnover on downs to give the offense another chance. Kyler led the team down the field, completing two passes to Hunter Hagdorn ’20 and another to Drew Estrada ’20 — which set them up at the Harvard 43 yard line with six seconds to play. On the final play of the game, Kyler escaped the Harvard pass rush and launched a pass to the endzone that was tipped by two defenders and caught by Masaki Aerts ’21.

The game had been dominated by the defenses up until the final drive. Harvard got on the board first with an opening-drive field goal, but the next score would not come until a Dartmouth field goal with 59 seconds remaining in the first half. Starting quarterback Jared Gerbino ’20 left the game late in the first half with an injury and would not return. Harvard kicked another field goal on their first drive of the second half, and the 6-3 score held until the final play.

Jack Traynor ’19 led the Big Green defense with 13 tackles, and Niko Lalos ’20 added seven tackles and the team’s only sack. Although it was another strong performance for the defense, the Big Green gave up 102 rushing yards to Harvard’s Devin Darrington, which snapped a 26-game streak of not allowing a 100-yard opponent rusher.

Next Saturday will be a matchup of undefeated teams, as the Big Green faces off against Princeton University at Yankee Stadium in New York City with the top spot in the conference rankings on the line. 

Volleyball

The volleyball team suffered two Ivy League losses this week, falling to Yale University 3-0 on Friday and Brown University 3-1 on Saturday. The team is now 7-13 on the season and 2-8 in conference play.

Despite losing in straight sets to Yale, the Big Green kept the score close throughout the match. Dartmouth was leading or within striking distance deep into each set, but was unable to hold on. Elise Petit ’21 and Nicole Liddle ’22 led the attack for the Big Green with six kills each, and Bella Hedley ’22 paced the defense with 11 digs. Annemarie Horn ’22 led the team with 16 assists. The final score was 25-18, 20-15, 25-16.

On Saturday, Brown jumped out ahead early in the first two sets and never relinquished their leads. The Big Green pulled away late in the third set to send the match to a fourth, but it was Brown’s turn to finish strong, winning six of the final seven points to break a 19-19 tie. Liddle and Carly Tower ’20 led the team with 10 kills each. Hedley and Horn again led the Big Green in digs and assists, respectively.

The team has two more Ivy League matches this week on the road against Princeton University on Friday and the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday.

Women's hockey

The women’s hockey team played three games this week, losing to the University of Vermont 4-2 on Tuesday and Yale University 1-0 on Friday, before beating Brown University 3-2 in overtime on Saturday for its first win of the season. The Big Green is now 1-3 on the season and 1-2 in conference play.

On Tuesday, Vermont scored three first-period goals, and Dartmouth was never able to catch up. A goal by Gabby Billing ’22 early in the third period cut the deficit to one, but the Big Green could not score the equalizer. An empty-net goal with under 20 seconds remaining made the final score 4-2. Billing and Catherine Trevors ’23 each posted two points on a goal and an assist.

Dartmouth had 20 shots on goal against Yale, but none found the back of the net. Trevors again led the attack with five shots. Yale scored the only goal of the game early in the second period; it looked as if Billing tied it up 28 seconds into the third, but the goal was called off because of goalie interference. Hannah Humphreys ’23 racked up a season-high 28 saves in the loss.

The Big Green captured its first win of the season on Saturday against Brown just 54 seconds into overtime on Celine Pietraszek ’23’s first collegiate goal. Lotti Odnoga ’22 led the team with assists. CC Bowlby ’23 scored her second goal of the season while Givanna Foglia ’22 netted her first.

Dartmouth will look to build on the win with a match this week on Friday at Quinnipiac University and another on Saturday at Princeton University.

Men's hockey

The men’s hockey team opened its season with road losses to Harvard University and the University of New Hampshire. On Friday, the Big Green fell to No. 19 Harvard by a score of 7-3. Dartmouth fell behind 2-0 in the first period but came back to take a 3-2 lead thanks to three goals in five minutes. Forward Daniel Warpecha ’20 and defenseman Harrison Markell ’22 scored 21 seconds apart, and forward Quin Foreman ’21 gave the Big Green the lead a few minutes later. The Crimson, however, regained momentum and scored three goals in less than three minutes to take the lead. Goaltender Justin Ferguson ’22 finished with a career-high 30 saves, but the Big Green could not match Harvard’s offense, despite recording 47 shots on goal.

The team fell to UNH in a heartbreaking defeat on Saturday by a score of 5-4 in overtime. The Big Green received two goals from forward Matt Baker ’21 and entered the final minutes of the game with a 4-3 lead. The Wildcats beat goaltender Adrian Clark ’20 in the final minute of regulation to send the game into overtime. After the Big Green committed two penalties, UNH converted on a 5-on-3 power play with less than 10 seconds remaining in overtime.

The Big Green will now turn its attention to its first home stand of the season. The team will host No. 9 Quinnipiac University on Friday night before playing Princeton University on Saturday evening.

Women's tennis

The women’s tennis team finished its fall season schedule with the annual Big Green Invite. The Big Green played host to Yale University, the University of Massachusetts and St. John’s University. 

On Friday, Dartmouth won a singles and doubles match against Yale en route to winning four of 14 matches on the day. 

On Saturday, the Big Green improved its singles results, winning four of seven singles matches and two of five doubles matches. The doubles teams of Racquel Lyn ’20 and Nicole Conard ’22 as well as Catherine Cable ’20 and Ashley Hess ’23 both defeated teams from St. John’s. 

The Big Green finished the meet going 5-4 in singles matches on Sunday, with Conard, Lyn, Chuyuang Guan ’20, Allison McCann ’20 and Paripovic all winning their matches. McCann and Guan won in straight sets. 

The Big Green will not return to competitive action until the winter, when it will resume play with a home matchup with Boston College on Jan. 18.

Field hockey

This weekend, the Dartmouth field hockey team went 1-1 in their games against Harvard University and the University of Vermont in its second to last weekend of play of the season.

On Saturday, the Big Green headed to Cambridge, where the team took on Harvard and lost 7-1. Jocelyn Wulf ’20 netted the Big Green’s lone goal in the second quarter. The Crimson’s offensive efforts were led by Bente van Vlijmen, who recorded four goals on the day, cementing Harvard’s win.

Following Saturday’s loss, the Big Green headed back north to take on UVM on the Catamounts’ home field. The Big Green won Sunday 3-2, ending a seven-game losing streak. Katie Spanos ’20 opened scoring in the 27th minute, but the Catamounts answered just two minutes later to tie up the game. Then, in the 37th minute, another goal from the home team put the Big Green behind, but Wulf answered less than a minute later with her second goal in two days. In the 51st minute, Holley Cromwell ’23 netted the game-winner for the Big Green, solidifying Dartmouth’s first win since September.

Next weekend, the Big Green will host Cornell University on Chase Field in the team’s final game of the season.

Cross country

The men’s and women’s cross country teams traveled to New York City on Friday to compete in the Ivy League Heptagonal Championship. Both teams finished in last place.

Lauren Sapone ’20 led the way for the women with a time of 21:39 on the 6k course, earning her 15th place overall and falling just short of All-Ivy League honors. Julia Stevenson ’20 was the next Dartmouth runner to cross the finish line at 22:04, putting her in 30th place. The Big Green’s other top scoring times came from Diana Vizza ’20 (22:18, 42nd overall), Claire Dougherty ’20 (22:30, 46th overall) and Breanna Glover ’22 (22:31, 47th overall). The team totaled 174 points.

Owen Ritz ’21 finished first for the men, clocking in at 25:43 on the five-mile course to earn 35th place among all runners. The Big Green’s next four runners followed shortly after; Sam Morton ’21 finished at 25:49 (39th overall), Ben Matejka ’21 at 25:51 (40th overall), Quinn Cooney ’20 at 25:53 (42nd overall) and Reed Horton ’19 at 25:56 (44th overall). The team scored 197 points, a disappointing result following last year’s third place finish in this event.

Both teams will try to put their last-place finishes behind them on Nov. 15 at the NCAA Northeast Regional in Buffalo, NY.

Women's soccer

The women’s soccer team was unable to capture its first Ivy League win on Saturday, losing to Harvard University 2-0. The Big Green is now 9-6-1 on the season and 0-5-1 in conference play.

Harvard scored in the third and seventh minutes, and Dartmouth was never able to get back in the game despite leading in total shots 13-9. None of the Big Green’s six shots on goal found the back of the net, but a 19th minute strike by Mollie McGorisk ’20 just missed off the crossbar. Allie Winstanley ’23 led the team in shots and shots on goal, with four and two respectively. Izzy Glennon ’22 had three shots and one shot on goal. Goalkeeper Mariel Gordon ’21 had five saves in the game.

The Big Green plays its final match of the season on Saturday against Cornell University.

Men's soccer

The Dartmouth men’s soccer team downed the Harvard Crimson 3-1 this weekend to move into lone possession of second place in the Ivy standings. 

The first of the Big Green’s goals came from Patrick Murphy ’21 in the third minute of the game. The Crimson scored just five minutes later, and the score remained tied until the 44th minute, when Zach Kalk ’20 netted one to put the Big Green ahead. In the 50th minute, Ohad Yahalom ’22 added the insurance goal, and the Big Green held onto its 3-1 lead for the rest of the game.

Murphy and Yahalom’s goals were career firsts, while Kalk recorded his second ever. On the defensive end, goalkeeper Alex Budnik ’22 held down the fort, ending the game with six saves and just one goal allowed.

Next Saturday, the Big Green play Cornell University in the team’s final home game of the season.