The Weekend Roundup: Week 9

3.4.19.wlax1_DivyaKopalle.jpg

Women’s lacrosse defeated Brown 15-11 in its Ivy League opener on Saturday.

Women’s lacrosse

Women’s lacrosse opened Ivy League play on Saturday with a 15-11 home win over Brown University. Kierra Sweeney ’19 scored five goals and Campbell Brewer ’19 scored three with one assist, while Kellen D’Alleva ’19 scored two points and tacked on six assists. Brown’s 11 goals on the day was a season low for a team that is among the nation’s leaders in offense, and a nine-save performance by Kiera Vrindten ’20 earned her the win. 

The Big Green (2-3, 1-0 Ivy) will stay at home for a matchup against the University of Connecticut on Wednesday.

Men’s lacrosse

Men’s lacrosse picked up its first win of the season on Saturday with an 11-4 victory over Wagner University. Ben Martin ’20 and George Prince ’21 eached picked up three goals and Matt Paul ’21 picked up two, while Trevor Ballantyne ’21, Peter Rizzotti ’22 and Harlan Smart ’20 netted the other three goals for the Big Green. Daniel Hincks ’22 proved solid in goal, making 11 saves and allowing three goals in 57 minutes.

The Big Green is back in action tomorrow with its first home game of the season against the University of Massachusetts Lowell at 4:00 p.m.

Squash

Three Dartmouth squash players traveled to Brown University for the men’s and women’s individual championships. Anne Blasberg ’20 and Sam Epley ’19 exited in the quarterfinals, while Matt Giegerich ’19 made it all the way to the finals, winning that match to secure the Molloy Cup North Division championship. 

Blasberg, who compiled a 4-11 record at the No. 1 ladder position this season, swept her St. Lawrence University opponent 11-4, 11-5, 11-3 in the first round of the women’s tournament. She was competitive in the quarterfinal match but could not get the edge on Trinity University’s Vanessa Raj in any of the three games.

Epley bowed out in the men’s quarterfinals after going 6-11 at the No. 3 spot in 2019. To get to the quarterfinals, Epley dispatched his Cornell University opponent in three games. He lost the first game against Franklin and Marshall College’s Sanjay Jeeva, then pulled even with an 11-9 win before losing the next two.

Giegerich, who went 10-7 at Dartmouth’s No. 2 spot, climbed all the way to the finals by beating Bard College’s Rhys Nordstrom, Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Joe O’Connor and Harvard University’s Julien Gosset. In the finals, Giegrich recovered from a 2-1 deficit and won his final two games to take home the trophy.

Men's hockey

The men’s hockey team finished the regular season in fifth place of the Eastern College Athletic Conference standings after an overtime loss and victory this weekend. The Big Green lost 4-3 in overtime to Union College and earned a 5-2 victory over Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The team will open the ECAC tournament next weekend at Thompson Arena in a best-of-three series against St. Lawrence University.

On Friday, the Big Green never had the lead in the game. With under eight minutes in the third period, Alex Jasiek ’19 tied the game at one, Union soon followed with two more goals. But then, Drew O’Connor ’22 scored on an empty net goal with 78 seconds left, followed by a Quin Foreman ’21 goal 57 seconds after that, sending the game into overtime. Union would eventually win the game in overtime, but the Big Green were still able to pick up a point for the night. The game actually was the first time this season that the Big Green lost a game when it registered fewer shots on goal than its opponent.

With the assurance of a home playoff series under its belt, the Big Green entered Saturday night looking to get a better seed in the tournament. Will Graber ’20 scored three times to earn a hat trick, and O’Connor added two more to give the Big Green the win. After initially trailing 1-0, Dartmouth then scored four unanswered goals, including two goals in the second period that came  separated by only 19 seconds. 

The Big Green finished the regular season with a record of 11-14-4, including a 10-9-3 record in ECAC play. The first two games against St. Lawrence will be on Friday and Saturday night at 7 p.m.

Men's basketball

The men’s basketball team endured another disappointing homestand this weekend, losing 77-76 to Princeton University in overtime and 65-51 to the University of Pennsylvania. With the losses, the team drops to 11-17 overall and 2-10 in conference play.

As has been the case throughout Ivy League play, the Big Green was unable to win a game that came down to the final seconds against Princeton. Dartmouth miraculously rallied from an eight-point deficit to send the game to overtime, but it fell behind quickly in the extra period and was unable to overcome its eight-point overtime deficit.

Against Penn, the first half was close, but the second half was more decisive. Penn took a 24-point lead at one point in the half and held Dartmouth to its lowest point total of the season.  

Aaryn Rai ’21 stood out with 21 points on Friday night and 12 on Saturday night, and Chris Knight ’21 had a stellar 22-point effort against the Tigers on Friday. 

Now, the Big Green turns its focus to its final two-game stretch of the season. It will take on Columbia University on Friday night before traveling to Cornell University on Saturday night to close out the season.

Women's basketball

Taking on Princeton University and the University of Pennsylvania for the second time this season, women’s basketball (12-13, 5-7 Ivy) fought hard but ultimately fell to the two Ivy League leaders.

On Friday night, the Big Green faced the Tigers (18-9, 10-2 Ivy) on their home court. A solid start put the Big Green up by one at the half, but a third quarter slide left the Green and White down 18 heading into the final quarter. Though the team played Princeton evenly in the fourth, outscoring them 11-10, the bad start to the second half proved to be too much to recover from for Dartmouth, and the Big Green lost 64-47. Elle Louie ’21 led the Big Green’s scoring effort as the only player in double digits with 12.

After losing 60-44 to Penn in Leede Arena two weeks ago, the Big Green headed to the Palestra seeking to prove themselves against the league leaders. Despite losing 56-52, the Big Green held the Quakers (20-5, 10-2 Ivy) to their smallest margin of victory of conference play. Isalys Quinones ’19 and Kealy Brown ’19 led the Big Green in scoring, with 13 and 10 points, respectively. 

Next weekend, the Big Green returns to Leede Arena for the final weekend of conference play. Currently one game out of fifth place, Dartmouth’s performance against Columbia University and Cornell University on Friday and Saturday will help determine who earns the fourth and final spot in the Ivy League Tournament.

Baseball

The Big Green traveled to Cary, North Carolina this weekend for the Army Baseball Classic and went home with three wins out of four games.

On Friday, Dartmouth took on Tulane University. Although the Big Green got out to a one-run lead in the fourth on a sacrifice fly from Michael Calamari ’20, Tulane would pick up two runs off of Cole O’Connor ’19 in the latter half of the inning and then three more in the fifth before heavy rain led to the game ending early with a 5-1 score in Tulane’s favor. 

Saturday went much better for the Big Green as the team picked up two wins against Fairleigh Dickinson University, 6-1 and 4-3. In the first game, the Big Green put up six runs on nine hits to give Nathan Skinner ’22 his first win of the season on a one-run, two-hit 4.1 inning performance. Later that day, the Big Green came back in dramatic style from a 3-1 deficit in the ninth inning, as Trevor Johnson ’20 drove in two runs in a clutch two-out single, and Kade Kretzschmar ’22 drove in the dagger with a sacrifice fly in the tenth to secure the victory. 

The team finished the weekend on Sunday on a high note with a 4-2 victory over Saint Joseph’s University. Matt Feinstein ’19 led the way with a 2-4, 2 RBI effort, and pitchers Trystan Sarcone ’22 and Jonah Jenkins ’21 combined for two runs on just five hits, with Jenkins earning the win.

The Big Green (4-4) has a brief break before heading to Kissimmee, Florida to take on Wayne State University on March 14.

Softball

Women’s softball had a tough weekend at the University of Central Florida Invite this weekend, losing all five games in Orlando. 

The team got pummeled on Friday, falling 8-0 to Louisiana Tech University and 10-0 to UCF, with Madie Augusto ’22 and Shelby Wilkison ’21 taking losses. 

The Big Green put up a better effort the next day against the University of Toledo, building a 3-2 lead coming into the final inning but then falling 5-4. Tessa Grossman ’20 went 3-4 with a run and an RBI, while Augusto gave up four runs on five hits in 6.2 innings with five strikeouts. 

On Sunday, the Big Green lost a rematch against Toledo, 4-3. Sophie Ausmus ’20 knocked in three runs on a triple in the fourth, but it was not enough to prevent Wilkison from picking up her second loss of the season. Later that day, the Big Green put a valiant effort against No. 1 Florida State University — putting up four runs in the first — but the Seminoles responded with a barrage of runs to win the game, 8-4.

The Big Green (2-8) has two weeks off before heading to the Golden State for the California State University Northridge/Loyola Marymount University tournament.

Men's golf

The men’s golf team kicked off its 2019 play on Monday and Tuesday at the Wexford Plantation Intercollegiate Tournament in Hilton Head, South Carolina, finishing 17th out of 19 teams. Reed Russ ’19 led the Big Green on the second day with a one-over-par day on the par-73 course, while the team as a whole shot nine over par on the day. Reed would finish tied for 58th among individuals in the tournament with an overall 16-over-par effort, while Jason Liu ’21 rode a two-over-par performance on the second day to tie for 45th overall. 

The Big Green will take three weeks off before heading to Greenville, South Carolina for the Furman Intercollegiate Invitational.

Sailing

The Dartmouth sailing team opened its 2019 season on Sunday at the Sharpe Team Race Trophy competition in Providence, Rhode Island. The Big Green defeated six of its seven opponents, earning a third place finish. Dartmouth’s one loss came to host Brown University, which finished in first place overall.   

The team will next compete on March 23 and 24. 

Women's tennis

The women’s tennis team suffered a close loss on Saturday to the University of Massachusetts Amherst, dropping the home match 4-3. Despite a doubles victory from Allison Chuang ’19 and Allison McCann ’20, UMass won the other two doubles matches to pick up the point. Chuyang Guan ’20, McCann and Jingyi Peng ’22 garnered three points for the Big Green with singles victories, but three singles wins by UMass gave Dartmouth its fourth straight loss. 

The Big Green (3-8) next faces Rice University in Houston on March 17.

Men's swimming and diving

The Big Green finished in last place in the Ivy League Championship for the fifth straight season, but the meet was not without its individual highlights. Connor LaMastra ’21 finished fifth in the 200-yard fly with a time of 1:44.35, while Justin Sodokoff ’21 took third on the 3-meter diving board with a score of 355.80. Meanwhile, AJ Krok ’19 earned the title of Ron Keenhold Career High Point Diver, having secured 105.5 career points.