Editor's Note

Hello, Class of 2020. We’re sure you’re anxiously poring through your course selection book and tackling your dorm shopping checklist as you count down the days until your arrival in Hanover. Maybe you’re insanely excited or insanely nervous, or some combination of both. No matter how you feel, you’re about to experience the most transformative, overwhelming, crazy and wonderful time of your life. We assembled this issue to provide a little guidance along the way. So take a deep breath, and maybe take out a pen to take some notes.

Caroline distinctly remembers receiving her own freshman issue, sitting on the floor of her bedroom reading articles written by people that would later become her mentors and friends when she joined the newspaper. Ray, meanwhile, has no recollection of reading his own freshman issue and is convinced that it got lost in the mail. Nonetheless, we hope that you take heed to the advice in this issue. After all, two years in good old Hanover can teach you quite a bit.

While putting together this issue, Ray and Caroline discussed advice that they would give to freshmen. Caroline said hers would be to not take a 9L, a class that starts at 8:45 a.m. (a mistake she made all three terms during her freshman year, resulting in far too much coffee consumption and sleep deprivation) and to have patience with friendships. You will meet people with whom you truly click here, who will change you and better you and all of that wonderful stuff, if you just give it a bit of time.

Ray’s advice? Don’t be afraid to be yourself.

So, Class of 2020, enjoy the issue, buy yourself a warm fracket (see our lingo article) and prepare for the wild ride that is Dartmouth. We promise that the best is yet to come.