A helping hand

by Nick Rodriguez | 8/11/16 10:00pm

College isn’t always easy. Here are some places to turn to when the going gets tough.

Academic Skills Center

The Academic Skills Center is a catchall office for anyone who wants to up their performance in class. The ASC has experts on hand to guide you through your courses, whether it is by helping improve your time management skills or setting you up with a peer tutor or study group. This office also oversees the Learning at Dartmouth program, which is a seven-week course that teaches academic skills including note-taking, speed reading and time management. The center is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and is located at 224 Baker, just outside the Tower Room.

RWIT (Student Center for Research, Writing and Information Technology)

RWIT is a focused resource for students looking for academic help. The Institute for Writing and Rhetoric, the Library and Academic Computing bring together faculty and students to help you organize your ideas and edit your essays. RWIT is conveniently located in Berry 183, between the First Floor Berry study space and King Arthur Flour café. Tutors are available by appointment.

Center for Professional Development

The Center for Professional Development is a resource for helping students land internships and jobs. You can make an appointment to review your resume, brush up on your cover letters and run through interview strategies. The center also invites employers and connects them with students on campus via workshops and panels. The center also manages DartBoard, Dartmouth’s online job search site. The CPD is open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and is located on the second floor of 63 South Main Street.

OPAL (Office of Pluralism and Leadership)

OPAL aims to foster a global and diverse community at Dartmouth. They are best known for their mentorship programs, which include The First Year Student Enrichment Program (FYSEP). The office offers specialized advising programs for black students, international students, latinx students, pan Asian students and those studying women’s and gender studies. OPAL hosts community socials for various groups on campus, which are open to all first-year students. The office is also a resources for students to anonymously report bias incidents. OPAL is located in the Collis 205 suite.

Office of Religious and Spiritual Life

The Office of Religious and Spiritual Life manages the various religious spaces and student groups on campus. Students can also come to the center for help with religious accommodations. Those interested in practicing mindfulness and meditation can also take part in the various meditation programs that this office offers. The office is located in the Tucker Center, which is behind Massachusetts Row and next to the Class of 1953 Commons, and is open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Counseling and Human Development Office

The Counseling and Human Development Office offers mental health services to all students, including short-term counseling and consultation. The office also offers same-day services for students experiencing crises and emergencies. The office is located on the second floor of Dick’s House and is open for regular hours Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., though they can be reached by calling Safety and Security at any time (603-646-4000).

Office of Visa and Immigration Services (OVIS)

OVIS provides a range of services for international students, including help with visas, work authorizations and tax information. The office also helped develop “The D-Plan game,” a student-created app that helps international students develop their D-Plans. OVIS is located in Suite 303 at 63 South Main Street.

Student Wellness Center

The Student Wellness Center provides educational programs about violence prevention, relationships and sexual health and general wellness. They also publish a newsletter, The Stall Street Journal, which is posted in bathrooms around campus. The Wellness Center also runs the Sexual Assault Peer Advisor, Eating Disorder Peer Advisor, Drug and Alcohol Peer Advisor and Movement Against Violence programs, and works to connect students to resources that can help them regardless of what facet of personal wellness they hope to improve. The center also features a free safer sex bar, a massage chair and occasional visits from therapy dogs. The center is located on the third floor of Robinson Hall and is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Sexual Assault Peer Advisors (SAPAs)

SAPA is a peer advising group sponsored by the Student Wellness Center. Each individual peer advisor has undergone a 32 hour training program in order to serve as a resource for students who have faced issues of sexual assault and relationship violence. They can be reached via blitz at any time, and services are kept confidential.

Eating Disorder Peer Advisors (EDPAs)

Similar to SAPAs, EDPAs provide peer resources to students with concerns about themselves or friends regarding eating disorders and nutrition. EDPA’s also undergo trainings in order to provide advice, accurate information, referrals and support to those who seek help. They are accessible via blitz at any time or in person by visiting the Student Wellness Center on the third floor of Robinson Hall.

Drug and Alcohol Peer Advisors (DAPAs)

DAPAs are undergraduate students who have been trained to respond to questions about alcohol and other drug use in a non-threatening environment, focusing on delivering factual knowledge to their peers. DAPAs can provide support for students or friends who are struggling with abuse and addiction, explain how to seek help on campus and refer students in crisis. They can also be reached via blitz, or by calling the Student Wellness Center during regular hours.

Movement Against Violence (MAV)

MAV is a student-run organization that serves to educate other students about the beliefs, attitudes and behaviors contributing to sexual violence on campus, according to its website. MAV facilitates workshops with various student groups and Greek houses throughout the year. MAV is sponsored by the Student Wellness Center.

Dick’s House

Dick’s House is an on-campus medical service where students can fill and pick up prescriptions, make appointments and receive medical care including routine check-ups, STD testing and flu shots. Dick’s House also receives students who have been “Good Sammed,” which is the colloquial term for when a concerned student calls Safety and Security in order to assist a peer who is dangerously intoxicated. Dick’s House is located at 5 Rope Ferry Road and is open for clinic appointments Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and for urgent care Monday through Friday from 4:30 p.m. 6 p.m.

Office of Residential Life (ORL)

The Office of Residential Life is one of the first stops that first-year students make on campus. The ORL handles everything from room draw to interim storage options, and is located in North Massachusetts Hall. This office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.