One-on-one with Evan Boudreaux '19

This week, The Dartmouth spoke with 6’8” freshman forward Evan Boudreaux ’19 of the men’s basketball team. Boudreaux was a three star high school recruit who had offers from Iowa State University, Boston College and Bucknell University — among others — before committing to Dartmouth.

In the team’s season-opening exhibition game against Keiser University, Boudreaux recorded 11 points on 50 percent shooting and led the team with seven rebounds in a team-high 24 minutes.

What made you decide to come to Dartmouth?

EB: I have a family history here. My mother graduated in ’82, and my brother graduated last year. I also love the coaching staff here. I had always been comfortable with the school and the coaches, and I think we have the chance to do something special here.

What have you enjoyed most so far on campus?

EB: The camaraderie and the closeness of the campus. I think it’s a really cute college town, and being able to walk around on a fall day is great.

When did you start playing basketball?

EB: I’ve been playing since I was really young. I think I first picked up a ball when I was either two or three.

When did you realize basketball was something you wanted to pursue at the collegiate level?

EB: Really early, probably when I was in middle school or grade school. I realized that playing basketball was what I wanted to do, and from that point on it was my one goal.

Do you or did you play any other sports?

EB: I played football when I was in high school.

What was the recruiting process like?

EB: It was kind of crazy for me, but Dartmouth made it clear that I was a priority and that they wanted me. I always felt like I could trust [head] coach Paul Cormier, so it was really easy to commit here.

How was your first collegiate game experience against Keiser University?

EB: It was different. When the lights come on and the bleachers are down and everything, it’s a lot different from practice — and it was a lot of fun. It’s a lot of fun to play against someone else. Just to put on the jersey is great. It was kind of a learning experience because it’s such a big jump from high school to college. It takes those first couple of minutes to get used to it.

How did it feel to be able to contribute so well to the team in your first game?

EB: I’ve always been kind of proud of myself for rebounds in particular, that’s something I try to do all the time, and it felt good at the end of the game to have those stats.

What are some of your long term goals for basketball at Dartmouth?

EB: I definitely think we can win the Ivy League championship. That’s my main goal because we haven’t done that since the 1950s. Additionally, I want to bring the program to a really good place where everyone on campus is really excited about it and wants to come to the games.

What are your goals heading into your first season?

EB: Personally, I want to play a lot of minutes and be on the court a lot, but as a team, we want to win as many conference games as we can and challenge for the Ivy League title this year. I think we have the seniors and the leadership to do that too.

What are you looking forward to this winter term?

EB: I’m looking forward to the [basketball] season getting started, to be traveling all the time with the team and to have the snow come down finally.

How has being a student-athlete at Dartmouth been so far?

EB: So far it’s been great, I love it so far. I’m really close with the freshmen who I came in with, and the team’s really close. They’ve been great helping me get acclimated to campus and everything.

This interview hes been edited and condensed.