Packing List

Before you read the rest of this article,

I would like to preface it with this — no one at Dartmouth cares about what you wear. Wear whatever you want. The dress code on campus isn’t a mystery — it simply just doesn’t exist. This isn’t high school anymore, and your dean or principal isn’t going to reprimand you if your skirt is too short or your uniform isn’t being worn properly. So bring clothes that make you feel comfor table being you, no matter what style or trend they may adhere to.

Many freshmen — myself included — are faced with a dif ficult realization when they walk into their freshman dorm: the wardrobe (or closet if you are lucky) is not as spacious as they had been expect- ing, or hoping. This guide should only inform you of things that most people at Dartmouth own, so take it as some suggestions for things you might want to keep with you freshman year.

1. Heavy Coat: While it may not seem like you need a heavy coat when you arrive in September, the weather will soon change and remain cold for quite a long time. This coat should be able to keep you warm for those early morning walks to Thayer Engineering School or the Life Sciences Center, and for those late-night walks home from the librar y. Hanover winters are no joke.

2. Frat Shoes: You will quickly learnthat the basements of sororities and fraternities are not places to wear shoes you even remotely care about keeping clean. These shoes should be comfor t- able and durable to the point that you still are O.K. with putting them on, even if you can’t recognize them anymore.

3. Fracket: While we’re at it, you’re going to want a coat to wear out as well. Have an old, cheap, relatively warm jacket that you don’t care about losing? That will work per fectly as a fracket — or “frat jacket.” You will probably lose your fracket at least five times at Dar tmouth, so being as unattached as possible to this piece of clothing is key.

4. Shower Shoes: Some of my friends got away with never wearing shower shoes, so this suggestion may be biased. If showering in the same place as the rest of your floor grosses you out, then definitely bring these. You’ll thank us when you’re living in the River/Choates.

5. Layers: No matter what clothes you bring to campus, a variety of long sleeves, shor t sleeves, tank tops and sweaters are key. Walking into a warm building feels great, until you begin sweating under the flannel or thick sweater you wore to keep you warm walking to class. Even though it may be cold outside doesn’t mean those lightershirts won’t come in handy when you are sitting in a heated classroom.

6. Class Jersey: On Homecoming weekend, your entire class will wear this long-sleeved, green T-shir t with a big 19 printed in the middle while running around the bonfire. These can be purchased at the Dar tmouth Co-op. Wear yours proudly!

7. Backpack/Bag: Bring something to hold books, pencils, pens, computers, calculators, snacks and the amalgam of other school supplies you will need on a daily basis. Whether this becomes your hiking pack, your favorite bag or your trendy Hershel backpack, this is definitely a must-have.

8. “Flair”: When someone tried to explain to me what flair was before I came to Dartmouth, I didn’t believe that it was actually something people wore. Flair is the name used to describe the wild, costume-like clothing that stu- dents throw on in eclectic combinations. Whenever the dress code is deemed: wear your flair. So yes, the green boa, pink tutu, cheetah-print onesie, tie-die leggings, bedazzled socks, Halloween costume you wore three years ago, Christmas sweater and/or anything buried into your closet that you secretly think is cool, will come in handy (I promise).