Dartmouth loses No. 1 undergrad teaching ranking

Dartmouth fell to fourth place in undergraduate teaching and 11th place overall among national universities in the annual U.S. News and World Report rankings released Sept. 8. The drop in the undergraduate teaching category comes after five consecutive years in the number one spot.
Princeton University, the College of William and Mary and Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, surpassed Dartmouth in the undergraduate teaching rankings.
The College ranked 10th overall for the past two years, though there were 11 schools in the top 10 last year, as Dartmouth tied with the California Institute of Technology.
Princeton, Harvard University and Yale University were ranked first through third place overall. Columbia University, Stanford University and the University of Chicago tied for fourth place, while the Massachusetts Institute of Technology came in seventh. The University of Pennsylvania dropped to eighth place, tied with Duke University. Cal Tech placed 10th. Cornell University rose one place to 15th, and Brown University dropped two spots to 16th.
This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
Correction appended (9/9/14):
Columbia University, Stanford University and the University of Chicago tied for fourth place, while the piece originally reported that Stanford and the University of Chicago tied for sixth place. The article has been corrected.