Men's golf finishes sixth out of 14 teams in MacDonald Cup

The men's golf team beat all Ivy competitors except Yale this weekend.

"We played well," head coach Rich Parker said. "The course was really in good condition this year, the best condition it's ever been in my nine years."

On the par-70 course, No.17 University of Illinois, last-season's national runner-up and the highest ranked team in the tournament field, set the pace with a commanding 25-stroke team victory ahead of Yale, the second-place finisher. Rounding out the top-five, St. Edward's University finished with a team score of 844, the University of Rhode Island with a score of 859 and the University of Hartford with a score of 861. The Big Green scored 863, securing sixth place.

"If you look at the teams that beat us Illinois is a top-five team in the country, Yale will beat us at home ninety-nine percent of the time, St. Edwards, Rhode Island, and Hartford are all really good golf schools, they all have scholarships we played really well," Parker said.

Pacing the Big Green was Jeffrey Lang '17, a Massachusetts native who has been a strong addition to the team this fall. Lang ended the tournament in a tie for 11th place, thanks in part to a strong first-round showing of 68 that kept him at par four the tournament following two scores of 71.

"My weekend was pretty good," Lang said. "I was hitting the ball pretty well, and I'm getting into that mode where you don't have to think too much about your swing, you just think about the shots in front of you and the course itself. To pick one spot for improvement though, I'm definitely working on my putting."

Lang, who played his Yale first tournament this weekend, said that he enjoyed the chance to see a top-team like Illinois.

"It's almost comical how good they were," he said.

At a tournament where young golfers led the pack for the Big Green, Charlie Cai '16 was the team's second best performer, finishing out the weekend tied for 18th place with a score of 214.

"There are definitely a lot of positives to take away," Cai said. "I played pretty solid for the most part, but there are definitely things I need to work on. It's something I can build on."

While pleased with the strong performances by freshman and sophomores, Parker said he will demand more from upperclassmen this season.

"I expect all three of our freshman to perform well," Parker said. "We need the veterans to show up now. It's not a big secret."

Rounding out scorers for the Big Green were Sean Fahey '17, who finished tied for 21st with a 215, Joey Maziar '14, who tied for 51st, and Charlie Edler '15, who tied for 59th.

Matching up against Ivy foes, the Big Green previewed what to expect from some conference opponents during Ivy match and tournament play. Finishing behind the Big Green, Penn tied for eighth, Cornell finished tenth and Brown tied for 11th.

"I think on paper Yale is the best team again, which they generally are," Parker said. "I'd say on paper, we're probably three or four. There are some good teams, and Ivy golf is really good right now, so I think if you talk to a lot of coaches they'd also say they are three or four. It's just a few shots separating us, and as we saw last year, anything is possible."

Next weekend, the Big Green will hit the road again, heading to Philadelphia for the Temple Invitational. For any freshman called upon to golf, this will mean missing Homecoming weekend in Hanover.

"Last year it worked out where the one weekend we were home was Homecoming," Cai said. "I'm not sure how the freshman feel. They're probably sad to miss Homecoming but excited for the weekend."