Strips grow despite rainy forecast

07.02.13.news.strips
07.02.13.news.strips

Sophomores participated in whitewater kayaking, shooting, hiking, climbing and organic farming trips and relished in the chance to meet new classmates.

Although the program initially filled all 200 available slots, only about 160 students ended up attending sophomore trips, or Strips, co-director Sam Stratton '15 said. Last year's program had a yield of 140 sophomores.

The last-minute decrease was largely attributed to the rainy forecast. While the weekend's weather did not turn out as wet as predicted, Strips directors prepared for adverse conditions by monitoring river water levels and preparing trip leaders for lightning safety measures.

Four of the initial 24 planned Strips two easy hiking trips, one moderate hiking trip and one strenuous hiking trip were canceled due to weather concerns, and participants were reassigned to other sections of the same or similar trips.

Mac Murphy '15, who led a strenuous hiking trip through Franconia Ridge, said the rain did not prevent her group from enjoying itself.

"We were wet, but everyone was in a good mood about it," she said.

Some trip leaders also pulled out due to illness, causing the planners to shuffle roles to compensate, co-director Lexi Krupp '15 said.

"Everyone came in with an open mindset and a willingness to meet new people," said Lorin Paley '15, who led the high ropes course trip.

Many said that having peers lead Strips created a more casual atmosphere than freshman trips.

"It was a lot more relaxed than freshman trips," Murphy said. "It was less about giving people a good introduction to Dartmouth and more about getting to know your peers."

Matthew Majewski, an exchange student from Oxford University, recalled an exciting moment when his canoeing group exchanged friendly mud-slinging with the organic farming crew.

The canoeing trip faced difficulty the next morning when participants awoke on Gilman Island, trip member Wesley Wang '15 said. All four of their boats, which had been docked on the shore, washed away during the night.

The group called Safety and Security to help them retrieve the canoes.

The canoe trip was not the only group to encounter unexpected difficulties.

On Friday afternoon, a bear cub confronted members of a strenuous hiking trip headed toward Trapper John Shelter and followed them for 45 minutes, trip participant Andrew Berson '15 said. The bear had been recently rehabilitated and was unafraid of humans, following the hikers up and down the trail as they tried to decide whether to continue to the shelter or turn back.

The unexpected encounter forced them to spend the night with the climbing trip in Nunnemacher Cabin instead.

Paley's trip confronted a large wasp nest on the high-ropes course, but did not sustain any major injuries despite their initial panic, she said.

In addition to forming new friendships and overcoming obstacles, Strips offered students a chance to explore Hanover's natural surroundings.

"We have unparalleled access to nature," Stratton said. "Most people don't take advantage of that on a regular basis and wish they did."

Ling Jing '15, who went on the biking trip, said one of her favorite moments was savoring an apple crisp topped with a la mode from the Whippi-Dip Snack Bar in Fairlee.

Hanlon, who chatted with students about their Strips at the Lodge on Sunday afternoon, said exploring the outdoors was an important part of his time at the College. Whether he was renting a boat from Ledyard Canoe Club or hiking in the White Mountains, he said time spent outdoors helped him to develop lifelong friends.

"One of the most powerful takeaways from my Dartmouth experience was the enduring friendships I made," Hanlon said. "The outdoor environment and my connection to the outdoors really contributed to that."

Strips cost approximately $14,000 overall, Krupp said. The budget was funded by $4,500 from the Dartmouth Outing Club, $50 from Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority, $200 from Student Assembly, $100 from Bait and Bullet and $50 from each participant.

The participant fees did not cover the full cost of Strips because financial aid was available for students who were unable to pay. This left an estimated $1,000 deficit, which the directors had anticipated in their initial planning, Krupp said.