Weinman to become Amherst CFO

Assistant vice president of finance Kevin Weinman will leave the College on May 1 to become Amherst College's first chief financial officer. Amherst president Biddy Martin announced Weinman's new role on Feb. 15.

Suzanne Coffey, chair of the chief financial officer search committee and Amherst College athletic director, said the position will have duties similar to that of a college treasurer, but the title was updated to reflect the senior level position on the president's senior management team.

Weinman's responsibilities as chief financial officer will include accounting, financial reporting, fiscal planning, risk management, heading an investment team and balancing the college's budget. He will also perform financial analysis for Amherst's strategic planning process.

Weinman said he hopes to take what he has learned during his six years at Dartmouth to his new role at Amherst. He faced his greatest challenge during the 2008 recession, but used this experience as a learning opportunity.

"The economic downturn showed even very wealthy schools, such as Dartmouth and Amherst, that they need to be very careful in how they manage money and that money is directed towards students and fulfilling their mission," Weinman said.

Even during periods of financial uncertainty, Weinman helped present a balanced budget to the Board of Trustees every year.

Mike Wagner, interim chief financial officer, said in an email that Weinman's new role at Amherst is a "testament to his talent."

"Kevin has been an important and valued member of Dartmouth's finance team for many years and will be missed," he said in the email. "As an alumnus of Amherst myself, I am especially proud and pleased that they are getting such a fine man in Kevin."

As he looks ahead, Weinman said he hopes to spend the first six months listening to and identifying Amherst's needs.

The search committee selected Weinman for his dynamic personality and vast experience in finance, Coffey said.

"I've been impressed with Kevin from the start," she said. "He has experience as a senior leader and with strategic planning, comes up with great ideas and can explain financial planning in a way that's accessible to everyone. He told me he works outside his office a lot, taking meetings to other people's offices, so he can be truly accessible."

Also on the search committee was Amherst director of academic engagement programs Sarah Barr, chief investment officer Mauricia Geissler, computer science professor Lyle McGeoch and economics professor Beth Yarbrough.

Weinman is from Queens, N.Y. and double majored in accounting and history at the University of Notre Dame. He received his MBA from the University of North Carolina, a master of arts in history from the University of Colorado and is writing a doctoral dissertation at the University of New Hampshire. His professional background includes accounting and financial management positions at Arthur Andersen LLP, Agilent Technologies, Deluxe Corp. and Western Union.

Weinman formerly sat on The Dartmouth's Board of Proprietors.