Daily Debriefing

Democratic candidate for governor of New Hampshire Maggie Hassan held an ice cream social on Thursday at the newly-constructed Black Family Visual Arts Center, according to a press release from Hassan's Communications and Political Director Will Craig. Hassan's visit to Hanover on Thursday is part of a larger campaign of "grassroots outreach to voters and ice cream lovers across New Hampshire" that includes stops in nine towns and cities across the state, the press release reported. Campaign events have already occurred in Nashua, Portsmouth, Manchester and Derry, with stops to come in Keene, Concord, Dover and Berlin.

Despite attempts to increase student mental-health awareness since the 2007 Virginia Tech shootings, universities have encountered difficulties responding to mental health issues of graduate students, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. The issue has resufaced following last month's shooting at a Colorado movie theater, as the alleged shooter had recently dropped out of a PhD program in neuroscience. Nearly 750 graduate students sought help from the 24-hour National Graduate Student Crisis Line between January and June, citing the pressure-oriented environment, increased financial obligations and sleeping issues as many concerns as sources of psychological distress, according to records maintained by the nonprofit group that controls the hotline. Although graduate students are at a higher risk of being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia and other mental diseases that often develop as individuals enter their early to mid-20s, graduate students are less likely to request campus counseling services than undergraduates, The Chronicle reported.

The value of a college degree remains high despite the current economic downturn, according to a study released by the Center on Education and the Workforce at Georgetown University. Although the unemployment rate of 6.8 percent for new four-year college graduates is higher than the 4.5 percent national rate for all four-year graduates, this percentage is still substantially lower than the 24 percent unemployment rate among those only with just a high school diploma, according to Inside Higher Ed. More than half the jobs created since the recovery from the recent recession began have been filled by college graduates, who only comprise one-third of the labor force. In light of these findings about the importance of college education in finding employment in a post-recession economy, the report found that the educational attainment gap between men and women has narrowed during the recovery, reversing the trend of men being less likely to enroll in college.