Thompson to leave College to become dean of students at Binghamton

Associate Dean of the College for Campus Life April Thompson will leave the College after 11 years to become Binghamton University's dean of students on Aug. 6, according to a Binghamton press release.

As dean of students at Binghamton, Thompson will oversee student conduct, student activities, multicultural programs, family programs, off-campus services and Greek life, according to the release.

"April possesses a student-centered philosophy and a collaborative leadership style that was evident throughout the search process," Binghamton Vice President for Student Affairs Brian Rose said in the release. "She has demonstrated a strong commitment to student development and success that makes her an excellent match for Binghamton."

As associate dean of the College for campus life, Thompson oversees the management of the Undergraduate Judicial Affairs Office, the Collis Center for Student Involvement, student activities, the Greek system, residential operations, Dartmouth Dining Services and the Office of Outdoor Programs, among other divisions.

The Office of Campus Life is a unit within the Dean of the College division that supports students' extracurricular pursuits by "supporting student leadership, encouraging active citizenship and fostering and celebrating individual and community engagement and achievement," according to the office's website.

"Thompson and her wife, Pamela Misener, are excited to be joining the Binghamton community," the release said.

Misener, who has worked at the College since 1999, currently serves as the advisor to LGBTQA students in the Office of Pluralism and Leadership.

Thompson previously served as the director of the Undergraduate Judicial Affairs Office before her appointment as associate dean in April 2010 by former Acting Dean of the College Sylvia Spears.

Thompson held positions at Ohio University, Sonoma State University and the University of Arkansas prior to her work at the College, according to the Binghamton release.