Baseball struggles in Ivy openers

The baseball team will need to rebound this weekend if it hopes to clinch a fifth consecutive Rolfe Division crown.

Saturday got off to a rough start for the Big Green, as it dropped the first game of the doubleheader against Princeton, 8-0, after falling into a 7-0 hole by the end of the second inning. The Big Green managed only four singles off the Tigers' pitching and failed to advance a runner past second base. Captain Joe Sclafani '12 had two of the team's four hits.

The Big Green's fortunes completely reversed in the second game, with Dartmouth marching to an 8-2 victory in a game it led from the outset. Starting pitcher Adam Frank '15 was effective in his Ivy League debut, going 6 1/3 innings and giving up only one earned run on one hit and four walks.

Frank had a no-hitter going through six innings, despite giving up an unearned run in the fifth.

"Adam gave our offense a chance to get going," catcher Chris O'Dowd '13 said. "With the way he was pitching, the momentum was on our side from the moment we put some runs on the board."

With Frank pitching well, the offense began to settle into a groove that started with the first career home run by Matt Robinson '15, a solo shot to right-center in the top of the fourth. The team added another run in the fourth on a Sclafani double that scored Jake Carlson '12.

In the top of the seventh, after Princeton had pulled within one, the Big Green struck again, as Selzer hit a two-out double down the left field line to plate two runs and give Dartmouth a 4-1 advantage going into the seventh-inning stretch.

Thomas Olson '15 came in to relieve Frank when he got into a little trouble in the bottom of the seventh, and Olson pitched 2 2/3 solid innings, earning the save and striking out three while giving up only two hits. Olson worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the bottom of the ninth with a strikeout and harmless fly-out to preserve the win.

The Big Green offense put the game out of reach by putting up four runs in the top of the eighth inning. Dartmouth got the first two runs thanks to three Princeton errors, and Thomas Roulis '15 delivered the finishing blow with a two-run home run, the first of his career.

Designated hitter Ennis Cobble '13 had four hits in the second game and Sclafani had three, including two doubles.

O'Dowd credited part of the Big Green's offensive success in the second game to a more patient approach at the plate.

"In the second game we found ourselves in much better counts," O'Dowd said. "When we started stringing together quality at bats, good things began to unfold."

Selzer agreed and also noted that the team's confidence was important in being able to rebound from a bad loss and come away with an afternoon split.

"We were able to refocus after a tough loss in the morning by putting it behind us and just focusing on playing the game hard," Selzer said. "We know if we stick with it, we are good enough to win ball games."

Dartmouth again struggled early against Cornell on Sunday and was never able to find a rhythm as Big Red sophomore Connor Kaufmann no-hit Dartmouth in the seven-inning game. The only blemishes on Kaufmann's stat line were a pair of walks spread over the first two innings.

Dartmouth started Mitch Horacek '14 pitched well for the Big Green, giving up only two runs on four hits over six innings of work. Horacek struck out five Big Red batters, but it was not enough to win the tight pitcher's duel. The second game of the doubleheader was postponed due to rain.

The team is aware of the pressures of the short Ivy League season, which lasts only 20 games, and the subsequent significance of every game.

"It is extremely important to start the season off right simply because the season is so short, which puts that much more importance on each game we play," Selzer said.

O'Dowd agreed that the short season factors into the high level of competitiveness that exists throughout the Ivy League season.

"All Ivy teams understand the urgency," O'Dowd said. "I believe that explains why the games are extremely intense."

Dartmouth returns home this week to put its NCAA-leading 25-game home win streak on the line against St. Anslem College on Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. Ivy play resumes over the weekend with a pair of home doubleheaders against the University of Pennsylvania and Columbia University.