Finkelstein leads orchestra in Rollins

Under the guiding hand of Paul Finkelstein '13, the Dartmouth Summer Orchestra performed in Rollins Chapel for the first time in 12 years on Monday night. Finkelstein, the group's conductor, formed the Summer )rchestra in order to provide students with a classical musical outlet for the term, The Dartmouth previously reported.

The goal of the ensemble is to bring together musicians in the sophomore class who would otherwise have limited opportunities for musical performances during the summer, according to Amy Bray '13, the orchestra manager. Many members usually perform with the Dartmouth Symphony Orchestra, Dartmouth Wind Symphony and Dartmouth Chamber Orchestra during the regular school year, The Dartmouth previously reported.

Rollins Chapel, filled with over 100 people, was the perfect setting for the small orchestra and the building's ambience added greatly to the orchestra's lineup: Beethoven's Coriolan Overture, Op. 62; Rossini's Overture to "L'Italiana in Algeri," Faur's Pavane, Op. 50; and Haydn's Symphony No. 45 "Farwell,"in F-sharp minor.

"All different moods were represented in the array of music selected," Bray said. "Beethoven's was stormy in contrast to Faure's eerie delicacy. And Rossini's overture was typical of him, very operatic and over the top."

During the final piece, Haydn's "Farewell," players left the stage as their musical parts dropped off, leaving only two violinists on stage to finish the piece.

"Haydn's piece was really fun because we were able to put our own Dartmouth spin on it as the musicians left the stage," Shivani Bhatia '13, a bassoonist, said. "It was a really great chance to have fun personalizing your exit from the stage an opportunity you would not have in a formal orchestra setting."

The orchestra's performance of "Farewell" emulated the premise of Haydn's piece, which was composed for his patron Prince Nikolaus Esterhzy of Hungary. It was written to hint to Esterhzy that the court musicians' release to return home was long overdue, according to Bray.

All of the pieces selected for the performance have complex histories. Beethoven's overture was based on Heinrich Joseph von Collin's story of Coriolan, a Roman general banished from Rome and seeking revenge. Rossini's overture opens the opera set in Ottomon-controlled Algiers, which features the story of an Italian girl in search of her lover sold into slavery. Faure's "Pavane" is a traditional slow Spanish court dance dedicated to Countess Elizabeth Greffulhe.

Finkelstein proved himself in the performance, drawing out every note with a movement of his wrist, Bhatia said.

"I was so impressed with everyone, but particularly with [Finkelstein] and the way he expressed the music through his gestures," audience member Damaris Altomerianos '13, co-manager of the Dartmouth Symphony Orchestra, said.

For an orchestra that has only worked together for one term, the group's cohesion and collaboration is incredible, Altomerianos said.

"One of the biggest things we tried to carry through the concert was how much we all enjoy playing," Bhatia said. "The orchestra was all student-based and therefore a lot more collaborative."

Members of this year's Summer Orchestra attribute their success to Finkelstein's initiative, Bray said.

"If the orchestra is to continue next summer as well, it will need a [member of the Class of 2014] to step up and start it again like [Finkelstein]," Bray said.