Hollisto's World

The end of the NCAA's spring athletic season ushers in a dead period for Dartmouth sports. Although the D-Plan creates an incredible amount of opportunities for students here, it is awful for Big Green fans. Normal schools usually finish classes before the athletic season ends, but Dartmouth students are kept on campus for two to three weeks after our varsity athletes play their final games.

I lose all motivation to complete my work without sports to watch. I usually force myself to finish all of my assignments early so I can spend the entire weekend watching one of Dartmouth's athletic teams. Without that incentive, my GPA falls faster than the International Monetary Fund's president's reputation.

Thankfully, several organizations around campus have filled the void with a variety of intramural sports and athletic tournaments. With these events, every Dartmouth student has the opportunity to dust off their old jersey and relive the glory days of organized sports.

IM sports require the same intensity and determination as any high school contest. In order to mentally prepare participants for the upcoming big games, I decided to devote this column to the art of pregame rituals.

Part 1: Sleep & Sex

Sleep is the most important key to high performance. Everyone knows that you should have a good night's rest before the big game, but you might be surprised to hear that the sleep you get two nights before a game can also affect your performance. The golden number is 7.5 hours. Some athletes, such as the Boston Celtic's Ray Allen, choose to take naps on game day. If you can survive the weekly grind while squeezing in a few extra hours of sleep each night, you'll have a competitive advantage before the match even starts.

Although there are many urban legends surrounding athletic performance and sex, most have turned out to be groundless. As long as you don't lose any sleep in the process, sex the night before the game will not physically affect your game. Some athletes even pride themselves on their pregame intercourse rituals. NHL superstar Alexander Ovechkin has proudly admitted that he believes having sex before and after games helps his performance. Whatever you decide to do behind closed doors is your prerogative, just keep in mind that it's all mental.

Part 2: Food

I'm not a nutritionist, so I can't tell you exactly what to eat before you play sports. I can confirm, however, that beer is a bad choice before heavy activity and that you probably should avoid anything from the grill in the Class of 1953 Commons if you want to run fast. You don't have to read nutrition books to know what foods make you feel good when you work out. Find something you like, such as a chicken Caesar salad, and consistently eat it before every big game. Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher eats two cookies before he takes the field. Even if it's not the healthiest, the same food before every game helps prepare you for battle.

Part 3: Music

No one song is right for everyone before a game. Some like loud rap music, while others prefer complete silence. Various Big Green athletes, such as football co-captain Shawn Abuhoff '12, prefer the soothing sounds of a classical symphony. Find what music motivates you and build a special iPod playlist to rock out to before your game.

Part 4: Routine

Everyone does something special before taking the field. I always write "Fearless" and "Relentless" on my wrist tape before opening kickoff. Some routines are much weirder. Allen shaves his head bald before every game, while Denver Broncos safety Brian Dawkins has a long and animated conversation with a football before the coin toss. Find your routine and stick with it and I guarantee that you will enjoy performing your routine almost as much as playing the game.

Part 5: Swag

Whenever you take the field, put a little swag into your attire. You don't need anything as flashy as Chris "Birdman" Andersen's mohawk. Small accessories work perfectly. Some like bandanas and headbands, while others prefer eye black and matching cleats. Although it's not necessary, it can help distinguish you from the rest of the crowd and serves as a great confidence booster.

Look good, feel good, play good. Get out there.