Muddying the Waters

Last week, the administration issued its new river policy barring students from swimming off of college property in the Connecticut River. Communicated to students in an e-mail from Associate Dean for Campus Life April Thompson on June 23, this decision was met with outcry from students ("Students criticize river dock policy," July 2). While the policy itself is unpopular for a host of reasons, the manner in which the administration crafted this decision should also be disconcerting to students. Formed behind closed doors and without any student input, this policy raises doubt as to how seriously the administration takes its own goal of transparency.

Both administrators and students can agree that a collaborative relationship is essential to help the College run smoothly. To effectively deal with major campus issues, both administrators and students must consult with one another prior to issuing new policies.

For the past few terms, the bonds of this relationship have been strong. In response to stricter alcohol policies initiated by Hanover Police this winter, students worked with College President Jim Yong Kim on the Student and Presidential Alcohol Harm Reduction Committee to address alcohol consumption on campus. Furthermore, the administration reorganized the Dean of the College's Office this past February to create a new framework with a single division dedicated to campus life.

While these instances are encouraging, the manner in which the administration made its decision last week now casts a shadow over this relationship. Even worse, the administration has sent a mixed message to the student body. Kim has repeatedly encouraged students to be proactive, and has called on us to make use of our ingenuity, resolve and brilliance by taking on the world's issues as our own. The administration has now ironically implied that students are fit to tackle complex problems around the world, but not the issues that arise here in Hanover.

While we acknowledge that Dartmouth's size and complexity make it impossible to involve the student body in every decision the administration makes, for an issue as provocative as this one, it would have been wise to consider our opinions. Especially during sophomore summer when the river is such an important aspect of student life and the small campus population is conducive to forging collaborative work this decision should have been made with student input.

It is important at this point in our Dartmouth careers for students to resist the urge to respond to the administration's decision with brash action such as with a dangerous "swim-in." A constructive atmosphere on campus, not a hostile one, will be essential for reconciling this issue. And a constructive rapport will be essential for dealing with administrators when problems inevitably arise during the two years we have left here.

The student body, however, can only advocate for itself so much. At some point, it becomes imperative that administrators do their part to back up rhetoric with action. Holding open meetings with students over College policy and involving students in the decision-making process can serve to reinforce the collaborative nature of this relationship.

For the sake of our time here, let us hope that administrators take additional steps to involve the student body in decision-making. Let us also hope that students jump at any and all chances to coalesce this relationship. And finally, let us hope that communication is as effective going forward as it was ineffective last week.