Three men's lax players named to first, second All-Ivy teams

04.12.10.sports.mlax_ jared bookman
04.12.10.sports.mlax_ jared bookman

Hingtgen, who has led the Big Green in groundballs twice in his four-year career, was a starter as a freshman. After being named second team All-Ivy his sophomore year, he missed seven games due to a leg injury his junior year.

This year, Hingtgen was an all-around player for the Big Green, serving as the go-to guy both on faceoffs and on defense.

Assistant coach Jon Torpey said that what Hingtgen accomplished was remarkable.

"I told him flat out in the meetings after the season that he is the best all-around defensemen I have ever coached," Torpey said.

Hingtgen said he was excited about receiving the award and that it was good to see his hard work pay off.

"It is a great honor to receive the award," he said. "I think it was based off of my versatility."

Hingtgen's ability was also praised by his goalie.

"He is above and beyond the best player on the team," Campbell said. "I think he is on the field the whole game."

Sussman an attackman has had an impact on the Big Green since his first year on the team. He received All-Ivy honorable mention his freshman year and was named Ivy League rookie of the year after leading Dartmouth in scoring.

As a sophomore, Sussman was named to the first team All-Ivy squad and once again led the team in goals in his sophomore season.

Torpey described Sussman as an incredible leader.

As the team's starting goalie and the youngest on the team to receive All-Ivy honors, Campbell is certainly one of the team's bright spots.

After earning only two wins in nine starts as a freshman, Campbell started this season as the backup goaltender.

Campbell became the starter after a trip to North Carolina to face nationally ranked Duke University and the University of North Carolina. He went on to post an Ivy-best .584 save percentage.

Campbell's breakout game came in April against No. 6 Cornell University at Gillette Stadium, where he had 23 saves to lead the Big Green to an 8-6 upset victory.

"I had my chance and took advantage of it," he said. "It's a good feeling to be recognized."

The Campbell's spectacular play gave the defense confidence, according to Hingtgen.

"Its great to know you're going to have a goalie who will step up and make the save," he said.

Campbell said that the confidence his defense has in him gives him confidence in the goal.

Postseason awards are not given solely on individual ability, as they also depend on how a team does in the regular season. According to head coach Andy Towers, the fact that these players received awards despite being on a team that went 2-4 in conference play says a lot about their athletic ability.

"We need to win more games to get recognition," he said. "To go 2-4 in your League and receive honors speaks volumes to how good these guys actually are."

Towers pointed out that he thinks both Sussman and Campbell should have gotten first team, but that Dartmouth lost to schools like Princeton, which had more players placed on the All-Ivy team than the Big Green.

As the lone non-senior, Campbell is the only one of the three who will have an opportunity for future improvement and recognition in the Ivy League.

"Fergus always gives you a chance to compete and win," Torpey said. "I am looking forward to another two years with him."

Campbell said his focus is now first and foremost to make the Ivy League tournament, which Dartmouth missed out on by one goal this year.