Capuano '73 formally announces Senate run

U.S. Rep. Michael Capuano '73, D-Mass., formally announced that he will seek the late Edward Kennedy's U.S. Senate seat in a Boston press conference on Friday.

"No other candidate has a record that more closely mirrors Ted Kennedy's positions on the most critical issues facing our nation and our state," Capuano said in a statement.

Capuano was the first candidate in the race to release a television advertisement. The ad aired on Thursday, one day before his official announcement.

In the commercial, Capuano again drew parallels between his political ideals and those of Kennedy.

"Only one candidate stood with Ted Kennedy against Bush's Iraq war and mirrors his progressive record," a voiceover in the commercial says.

The campaign video also highlighted Capuano's support for a public health care option, gay marriage and tax cuts for the middle class.

Capuano is the only member of Congress seeking the Senate seat. Rep. Stephen Lynch, D-Mass., announced on Tuesday that he would not run. Lynch's decision to remove himself from the race came soon after Massachusetts unions threw their support to Attorney General Martha Coakley, D-Mass.

Capuano gained the endorsement of Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., on Friday.

The Massachusetts state Senate rejected legislation on Friday that would have allowed Gov. Deval Patrick, D-Mass., to appoint an interim senator to serve until Kennedy's replacement could take office in January. The five Republican state senators rejected the bill which blocks further discussion of the matter until Monday, the next formal session.

The Massachusetts House passed a bill on the same issue on Thursday by a vote of 95-58.

The primary will take place on Dec. 8. The special election to fill Kennedy's seat will be held on Jan. 19, 2010.