Hand in Hand: Knapp and Rose - Looking Forward

Sunday, 1 p.m. Jordan's Room. Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity.

Mike: OK, so this week we've renamed our column "Hand in Hand" to celebrate the last article of the term, and the fact that we are putting our great minds together for once instead of battling it out.

Jordan: Michael, I feel like there's been a lot of latent hostility running through our columns the last few weeks. It's been hurting me, considering I've known you since freshman year. At least what's written here is an accurate reflection of what we actually said today, rather than the B-side journalism Espo used to pull in "Walking on Eggshells" two years ago.

Mike: Agreed. I think it is time to heal our wounds, at least until next term. So far this winter we've discussed everything from Dartmouth's next athletic director, to the NBA All-Star game (which may have been our worst column of all time). If you had to pick one thing that you would call Dartmouth athletics' "story of the winter" what would it be?

Jordan: Hey, I thought we had a constructive argument over the merits of professional all-star games that nobody really watches nor cares about. As for the so-called "story of the winter," I'm going to have to go with men's basketball. I'm tempted to pick the success of the women's basketball and hockey teams, considering basketball won its second-consecutive and 17th overall Ivy League title on Saturday, and hockey took the ECAC Hockey League title Sunday afternoon. Not to trivialize these accomplishments in any way, but these two squads have enjoyed consistent success at a high level for years now. Men's basketball, on the other hand, is truly the story of this winter. Dartmouth had not played a meaningful game in March during my time in Hanover until this year, and it was refreshing to see the Big Green make a run at the traditional powers in the conference (e.g. Cornell). We were so freakin' close to knocking off the Big Red in Ithaca, and if we had won that game it is not a stretch to say we couldn't be Ivy champs by now. You could see the student body getting excited about our title hopes, especially at the home games. It will be tough without Alex Barnett '09, so who knows how they'll fare next season.

Mike: Great point, Jordo, and you kind of lead into my point. To me, the story of the winter was the fans. From the "blackout" at Leede Arena during the Brown/Yale weekend, to a sold-out Thompson Arena for the Princeton hockey game on the same night that we packed Leede to watch the basketball team play Cornell, Dartmouth fans showed up en masse this winter. School spirit is vitally important to the overall experience of a college, and as a soon-to-be alum of Dartmouth, I can honestly say that this winter I witnessed the most spirited fans I've ever seen here. It was great to see men's basketball coach Terry Dunn come over to the stands and thank the fans after the "blackout." Dartmouth fans really got after it this winter in a way they haven't yet over the past four years. That being said, let's give some love to the two Dartmouth winter sports teams that are still playing meaningful games -- women's hockey and women's basketball. Both of these teams are having great seasons.

Jordan: New topic: What is the winter team to watch for next year? This one is tough only because we can't know anything about the players in the Class of 2013 (saying that makes me feel really, really old). But I'm going to go with women's hockey. The Big Green is losing a lot of senior talent, particularly standout goalie Carli Clemis '09, who has started almost every game since she got here. It will be interesting to see how the younger players respond to that and fill the void left by the '09s.

Mike: Women's hockey is a great choice, and they are stockpiled with talent for next season, but I'm going to go with the same sport, but a different gender. The men's hockey team looks to build off of its 13-11-3 record, while returning a ton of underclassmen. The graduation of Connor Shields '09, Josh Gibson '09, Rob Pritchard '09 and Dan Goulding '09 will hurt the Big Green next year, but the team will return four of its top five points leaders, and its excellent freshman goaltender Jody O'Neil '12. I expect big things from both hockey teams next year, but the underclass talent on the team makes the men my team to watch in the winter of 2010. On one closing note: What is the one sports-related thing you wish you did this winter (the Dartmouth Seven doesn't count)?

Jordan: This one's easy. I never went skiing at the Skiway or one of the other mountains in the area this year, meaning that in four years at Dartmouth I never -- repeat, never -- went skiing. I know how to ski, and when I've gone in the past I actually really enjoyed the experience. I don't know why I never got the motivation to hit the slopes, but I'm regretting it now. Sure, the Skiway isn't that great of a mountain, but it's still a great resource if you want to just tool around and unwind on a winter weekend. What a shame. I'll have to make up for it by kayaking up a storm on the Connecticut come springtime. What about you?

Mike: I'm going to leave my rowing goals out of this because, frankly, they are boring to anyone who doesn't row. I don't really regret missing out on skiing season because one of my teammates severely injured himself skiing last year (hi Ted), and knowing me, I surely would have hurt myself if I had gone. As far and intramural sports go, our team won the championship, so I have nothing left to accomplish on the basketball court. I guess I wish I had spent more time outside (even though it was unbearably cold). There are a lot of things to do outdoors in the winter, but the cold weather kept me indoors for a lot of the time. Any final thoughts you want to leave our readers with over spring break?

Jordan: Keep supporting Dartmouth sports. Follow how teams are doing, and show up to home games. Your support makes a difference, and it's awesome to be in a venue with hundreds of other passionate fans. Plenty of great stuff to see in the spring, from lacrosse to baseball to rowing. With as much bad news as we're getting from all the things happening in the world and its impact on Dartmouth, athletics can be a great outlet to escape from it all. I hear rugby at the Corey Ford Rugby Clubhouse is particularly lovely in the springtime.

Mike: Great call Jordan -- the fans make the difference at these games. I just want to thank everyone who read these columns this term, and especially to those people who talked to either Jordo or me about what they thought about the topics at hand. Jordan and I are trying to keep Dartmouth athletics fun and interesting for the fans and athletes, and hopefully we've done that this term.

Writers' note: We have put together some headlines that students could expect to read next winter in The Dartmouth sports section.

Men's hockey welcomes new recruiting class to campus: all new players are eligible for senior citizens' discount at Boloco.

Due to budget cuts, all teams to practice in Levrone from 6-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Basketball team retires Alex Barnett's jersey number on same night Terry Dunn lobbies to extend NCAA eligibility to five years.

Skiing wins 1,000,000th consecutive race, someone notices.

Budget crisis in Dartmouth Dining Services: now on-campus dining options open only to athletes.

Dartmouth Vancouver Winter Olympics: Yadda Yadda.

Underclassman columnist at The D tries to predict professional sports. People care. Really.

Eager to prove their worth, Swim teams holds meet at Polar Bear Swim.

In depth report: Squash -- game or vegetable?

Infuriated fencers: 'We challenge you to a duel.'

Crediting excessive practice at Dartmouth, Scullin leads NFL in punting average.

Josie Harper attempts Brett Favre-ian comeback.

Third straight Ivy League title by women's basketball relegates men's team to West Gym.

President Kim draws in high school quarterbacking experience and unused NCAA eligibility to guide Dartmouth football to best season since 1996.

Keggy the Keg vs. Dartmoose: The final battle in the middle of the Green. Bloodbath ensues.

Student Assembly meets to discuss athletes and ... something. They just like to hear themselves talk.

First Floor Berry renamed Athlete Facetime.

That's all, folks. Thanks for reading, and see you in the springtime.

--Knapp and Rose