Daily Debriefing

Dartmouth engineering professor Victor Petrenko and his colleagues at Ice Engineering LLC have developed a new de-icing system for power lines, according to a College press release. Petrenko and his team invented the variable resistance cable, which allows the electrical resistance of a cable to be increased. This increase results in heat, which can melt any ice that may form. Ice Engineering will implement a prototype VRC system later this month in Orenburg, Russia, according to the press release. Despite slight changes in power line installation and replacement costs, the VRC de-icing system benefits utility companies by reducing the need to fix power lines that would otherwise be damaged by the weight of snow and ice, Gabriel Martinez, Ice Engineering's vice president, told The Boston Globe on Wednesday.

Gov. John Lynch, D-N.H. was inaugurated Thursday at noon for his third consecutive term in office. In his inaugural address, Lynch emphasized that his office will need continued bipartisan support from legislators to help New Hampshire families withstand the current economic challenges. Lynch stressed the need for optimism and confidence among New Hampshire citizens, citing the state's unemployment rate, which remains below the national average. Later in his inaugural address, Lynch proposed a new Green Jobs Initiative, which will be funded by the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative and the Renewable Energy Fund. The Green Jobs Initiative will create jobs for unemployed New Hampshire residents through new weatherization programs, upgrades in the energy efficiency of state and municipal buildings and a new low interest revolving loan fund to support energy efficient initiatives by New Hampshire businesses.

The biology department received feedback from students on its new major structure, implemented three years ago, in a forum in Collis Common Ground Thursday night. The changes included the creation of Biology 11, which is mandatory for biology majors, and the institution of one major with several concentrations to replace four, separate options. Professor Tom Jack, chair of the biology department, said Biology 11 was a success from the faculty perspective, but many students voiced their dissatisfaction with the course's perceived lack of focus. Students also said they enjoyed that the class was not limited to rote memorization, but rather on teaching students to ask questions about the subject matter. Other topics discussed included increasing the availability of biology courses for non-majors and clarifying the procedures for becoming a biology major. The meeting was organized by the College's Society of Biological Sciences.