June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Lou's waitress says job is 'meant to be'

Becky Schneider has been working as a waitress at Lou's since 1978.

Veteran waitress Becky Schneider has worked at Lou's Restaurant and Bakery in Hanover for 21 years. She has left the restaurant three times since 1978, often recruited for new positions by one of her loyal customers -- pursuing new work at a plasma-torch consumable company, working at Shorty's Mexican Roadhouse in West Lebanon, and drifting off to Florida in her early twenties.

.Yet Schneider has always returned to Lou's, bored by the tedious nature of other work.

"Sometimes you're just meant to be somewhere," she said.

Originally drawn to Lou's because of its "upbeat, fast-moving" pace, Schneider began working at the restaurant in 1978 after moving to Hanover from Connecticut at age 17 and, besides her three leaves of absence, she has continued to work tirelessly at the restaurant.

"I worked through both my pregnancies and went back to work when they were six weeks old," Schneider, a single mother, said. "I had to."

When Schneider first began working at Lou's, Dartmouth had only been co-educational for five years, and the town's atmosphere was very different than it is today, she said.

"People weren't as friendly back then," Schneider said. "Students were more snobby -- women were walking around in full-length minks."

Now, she says that the students are the reason she continues to work at Lou's.

"The students are very polite, friendly and of course intelligent, well-brought-up kids," Schneider said. "Without the students, I would not work here. I look forward to them every week."

Her relationship with Dartmouth students does not end at the restaurant, she said, recalling that she has invited students over to her house in West Lebanon for dinner and hosted West Coast students for Thanksgiving.

"I'm a mom away from home," Schneider said, explaining that she often offers ginger ale and oyster crackers to students at the restaurant who are not feeling well.

Schneider's devotion to students has been reciprocated, she said. When out for a few weeks with a broken leg, students sent her cards and pictures, and when she moved into a new house, several students assisted her. She has even received a poem titled "Egg Whites and Earth Muffins," both staples of the Lou's menu, from two members of the Class of 2009.

"I have pets every year," Schneider said, referring to her favorite regular customers. "It's sad to see them go, but the ones you really like come back."

She also remains close with her two daughters, whom she raised by herself while a waitress at the restaurant. Both of them have worked with her as Lou's employees.

However, there are occasions when dealing with students is not enjoyable, Schneider noted. She recalled the period in the 80's and early 90's when Lou's was open on Friday and Saturday nights, and she worked the 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. shift.

"I worked it alone," Schneider said. "Guys would leave three at a time, one to pee in the toilet, one in the sink and one on the floor. I would find the most sober person and stand her in the corner, handing out water."

When current owner Toby Fried took over in 1992, these late-night shifts ended.

Schneider has also seen many interesting culinary concoctions over her years of working as a waitress in the restaurant.

"I've seen whipped butter and hot chocolate fights, people making ketchup hats, so many gross things with food," Schneider.

Despite these objectionable antics, working near Dartmouth has had its perks, Schneider said. While working in Hanover, Schneider has had the opportunity to meet several famous people, ranging from Bill Clinton and Chevy Chase to Steven Tyler and Bob Keeshan '42, known for his role as Captain Kangaroo. Once, when she was nineteen years old, Schneider unknowingly shared dessert with Ben Stanley from KISS, she said.

Reflecting on her experience in Hanover, Schneider believes the town and the College are moving forward in a positive direction while holding on to the old traditions, she said.

"The students are a great group who genuinely care about the community and the country," Schneider said. "They're conscious not only of how they do in school but in improving the quality of others' lives, the bigger picture."

Still, life at Lou's goes on regardless of changes happening at the College.

"Nothing ever affects business," Schneider said. "If it's snowing, the staff might find it hard to get here, but there will be students waiting at the door with their boots on."